Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of nasty.

How do you.... ermmmmm..... avoid....... poop getting stuck to their butt fur?

No diarreah or anything, but today, just the way Boo manouvered herself somehow, ended up with a piece stuck, which me and mom (she woke me up to do this, grr) had to hold her still, and pick it off. Ended up just cutting the fur where the rest of the stickier part was.

But, how do you all keep them 'tidy' without htem looking dumb, having a close to shaved ass with the rest of them fluffy?

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
My groomer gives my girls a potty patch. It's not really noticeable. I'm amazed that my girls are so good about their bums. They rarely have problems, but Cali did yesterday. I just cut the dookie off, along with some booty fur. Charlee's the hard one, it's like WWE Raw trying to get that girl to lie still.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cheetah is a medium hair, and he rarely had poo on his butt, except once. And weird enough, it was when he had a hard poo. We went to the vet (no, we did not go to the vet for a poo in his butt, we went for something else) and they gave him a little shave. Barely noticeable too, just right around the....outlet.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Short of giving them a "Mohawk" at the back end, I don't think there's much you can do. At least once a week, I see my girls walking around with a little "trailer" handing behind. I just grab the scissors, a few treats and a Kleenex. I put the treats on the ground and while they're busy eating, I go "snip, snip" into the Kleenex. At other times, I'll come home to find a little piece of poo lying on the floor. I know it's not a case of them failing to use the litter box, but just a stray piece dropping off after the fact. I pick it up (using a Kleenex or similar) and toss it in the garbage. I just chalk these particular pleasures up to the joys of long-haired cats. I figure if that's the worst problem I face with my girls, I'm getting off easy! :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was gonna say my friend has a long haired cat and keeps his bum trimmed to avoid messes, but basically everyone else said the same thing.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Trim back fur as close to the skin as you can 1" around the anus with moustache (blunt tip) or bandage scissors, about once a month. That will help a lot for the poos to drop into the litter box rather than getting caught in the breeches.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, there's not a ton you can do unfortunately. I have this problem not with my cats, but with my dog. He's a pomeranian.

Keeping fur trimmed back there does help a little, but generally we just have to check him every time he comes back from being outside, and wash him off in the sink when necessary. I imagine that's probably a little more difficult with a cat though, considering they just use the litterbox whenever, instead of letting you know they need to be let outside. :/

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I have this problem not with my cats, but with my dog.
Up until two years ago (she passed on from complications from epilepsy) I had an Alaskan Malamute and she had the same problem if I didn't groom her properly When I groomed her I just trimmed her back end fur so there was no hair in the path of destruction.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My groomer gives my girls a potty patch. It's not really noticeable. I'm amazed that my girls are so good about their bums. They rarely have problems, but Cali did yesterday. I just cut the dookie off, along with some booty fur. Charlee's the hard one, it's like WWE Raw trying to get that girl to lie still.
by potty patch, im guessing you jsut mean an area thats trimmed well?

We had her trimmed, but possibly not enough. Funny that it just happened after we trimmed her to avoid such things... lol. Its only ever happened twice in 5 years, but its not pleasant on the nose or the gag reflex...

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Yup, that's a potty patch. I don't know how my girls do it, but they very rarely get dookie stuck back there. And they have two of the fuzziest butts my vet has ever seen! They haven't had a potty patch shaved for months now, maybe next time I get their nails trimmed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, if i were to ask for a potty patch at the vets, would they think im crazy or know what im talking about??

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
They should know. :grin:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Oh yes, we call them dingle berries. :lol:

I occasionally have to chase one of my girls down with a kleenex or scissors to wipe or trim the hangers-on.

For whatever reason Bailey gets far more than Bella. They are both long haired Ragdoll cats, but Bailey get blessed with most of the dingle berries.

I like the idea of trimming a potty patch.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Lol. A while back Mow as on antibiotics and it messed with his stomach. I was sewing away and heard him yowling in the backroom (litterbox room) like someone was killing him. It wasn't a 'come chase me' yowl...it had serious unhappy undertones.

When I got there he was laying on the ground with his back legs cocked (like he was going to clean himself) and yowling. He'd gotten some loose stool on his back end fur. When he saw me he started speeding up the yowls. I swear it was like he was babbling "Oh God, get it off! Get if off me! Ewwww!" He kept up the crying until I cleaned him off with paper towels and baby wipes.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used baby wipes too. luckily we had them around for the nieces. i trimmed the last one too, couldnt quite wipe all of it.

It looked like she was trying to get it off too. There were a couple footprint type (bum poop prints) in places where she would never normally just sit. maybe kinda rubbing her bum on the floor? We didnt see her but thats my guess. Luckily it was noticed while still on the tile floor -easily cleanable

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
My girls will drag their butts on the rug, the floor, anything, to try to get a stuck piece off. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often. The only funny thing about that is when they see me coming, they don't get up and run, they just try to drag faster.

Kids.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts