Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend asked me to post this problem for her:

she has a kitty, about 9 months old, i think. he has a habit of spilling his water bowl. he will tip it over or bat it around until all the water sloshes out, then lick it off the floor. the problem is, he gets stuck without water all day while she is gone cause he spilled his water everywhere. she's tried heavier bowls, doesn't work. she's tried stainless steel bowls with rubber around the bottom, doesn't work. she lives in an apartment, so she can't really do anything to the walls or floor to secure the bowl. she thought maybe filling the underside of the stainless steel bowl with sand, but she doesn't think it would be heavy enough, her kitty is pretty strong.

can anyone think of anything?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
How about a spaniel bowl? use a ceramic one, im sure no cat could move one of those they are very heavy. They are also very deep- then she could half fill it nad he couldnt spill it everywhere.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TAsunder- she said she thought the drinkwell fountains would be too light.

zalensia- i'll mention that to her, thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I mentioned this to my mom and she said, "Just leave the toilet flushed!" :roll: But she also suggested that perhaps your friend could leave water in the sink for him. He might have kind of a tough time tipping that over. My mom doesn't always leave much water for my cats, but they always seem to manage to find it elsewhere...(mainly from my 20 gal. Cichlid aquarium, which really bugs me...) Another thing she might want to try is putting a large, heavy stone in his water dish. (I suppose the size of the stone depends on how big the water dish is, though...) If the stone is big enough, not only will he be unable to knock it around, but he will be unable to do any serious splashing with his paw (which I have had one of my cats do in the past). It will also be cheaper than buying a whole new waterdish for him.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oooh, that stone thing is a good idea. i don't think the sink would work, i think it's usually occupied with dirty dishes. :lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
The sink thing definitely works! Our boys only like the water from the master bedroom bathroom sink.............don't ask me why..............I have no idea. I keep a small water bowl near the kitchen sink (next to where they eat), that water is filtered, and they never drink from it. Coco will also drink from the tap if the water is running slowly. Wittle did that also when he was younger, now he prefers the filled to the top sink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I experienced the same problem with my Annie (7 months), she would spill her water just as quick as I could fill it.

It was funny at first, but got old pretty quick. I keep her food and water dishes on a plastic placemat. My solution was taking double sided tape and securing her water dish to the placemat.

She still tries to bat the water dish around but the water does not spill. It's been almost 2 weeks and she hasn't spilled a drop.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Sounds like the same exact problem I had with my cat Kouji. We found her when she was barely 6 weeks old on the side of the road sitting in a rain puddle. Which may have been the start of her fascination with water.

She'd either flat out tip her bowl over, dig in it (much like how dogs dig holes in the backyard), or scoop the water out. We tried getting larger bowls...but that just meant more water on the floor. We tried heavier bowls and even that didn't stop her.

Finally we got her one of those fountains and since then she hasn't tried to drench my floor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My cat loves the water...He plays in the tub (with water in it) all the time
but when he drinks water I now see him go to my homepathic water fountain and drink water from it. So I make sure I have plenty in it and that it is clean.

He use to drink the water from the faucet int he bathroom sink and tub....
He won't drink water from his bowl but he use to play around withit too. He doesn't do it as often, but I use to have a towel down underneath this bowls and he didn't like that as he would alwasy play withthe towel and the water would be all over anyhow.

I still offer ithe water to him even if Iknow he probably doesn't even touch it.
I don't have the towel down underneath it anymore though. Still at times he spills it as he likes to paw around his food bowls...

Did any of you ever have your cat paw away at the kichen linoleum floor as if he was digging for something. Mine does it all the time. Occassionally he will do this to the windows too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts