Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to check the basement because we have had some hard, driving rain today. We have one spot where we sometimes have a leak. I had always assumed that it was coming from the foundation wall, but today I found the water dripping from the corner of the electrical box 8O 8O . I opened it up to check the breakers and that part is dry. Guess what my hubby will be doing this afternoon when he comes home from work?!?!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
There's always something, isn't there. I hope hubby can get it taken care of, and that it's a pretty easy fix. Problems seem so monumentous around this time of the year, with the holiday, and everything else that's going on. They always seem to pop up when you least expect it. Good luck, I hope it's a simple fix! :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not that I'm an expect on this issue by any means but just because the water was dripping from the electrical box doesn't necessarily mean that's where the source of the problem is. My totally uneducated guess is that there is a problem spot in the foundation and the water is following a crack or a line of some sort that just happens to end up at the electrical box.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping that it is something that I can just zap with my trusty caulk gun. If I were braver I would open up the electrical box and look, but I will freely admit that I am a chicken.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Lea-Ann, what you call being chicken is just good sense. Don't open that box unless you really know what you're doing.
Getting zapped by electricity conducted through water is no fun, and can be deadly.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
gunterkat said:
Lea-Ann, what you call being chicken is just good sense. Don't open that box unless you really know what you're doing.
Getting zapped by electricity conducted through water is no fun, and can be deadly.
I fully agree. Sure you can throw the mains, but the line before the mains is still energized. If your electric meter is like mine, you can kill all power before it even enters the house. The entire assembly with all the dials, etc is one big plug. After throwing the mains, I would just unscrew the cover plate and pull out the meter assembly. Now your breaker box is totally dead and thus safe to open. When you are done, you merely plug the meter assembly back into the meter box, replace the cover plate, and then turn your mains back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts