Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been going a little crazy lately ordering food online for my cat. My last shipment arrived yesterday and now I'm amazed at the tower of cans I've created :) I got three cases of Wellness, a case of Natural Life, and a case of Felidae. This to go in addition to the three cases of Nutro Max I've already been using.

All for a grand total of 184 cans of food. Figure in the he gets 1/4 can in the morning and 1/4 can at night (1/2 a can a day) it comes to 368 days off food! That's a year's supply!!

Adding to the massive amount of canned food I also bought a 7lb bag of Evolve dry and a 5lb 14oz bag of Wellness dry. I also have like a 2-3lb bag of Blue dry I got a few weeks ago. Add that up to around 15-16lbs of dry food! I KNOW he doesn't go through the dry nearly as fast as the wet. I give him around 1/4 cup a day. At this rate, I'll never have to buy cat food for a year or more!

My only worry... will it go bad?? I think I remember that canned food can stay good for a while... but what about the dry? I have it portioned into tupperware containers and only open them once a day (I think I have about 1-2 lbs in each container). The bags are ziplock sealed. They have about 4lb and 6lb left in them. Will they last? Should I freeze them? Will that destroy the nutrients? Now I'm scared I spent all this money and won't be able to use the food down the road!!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh :) I was afraid I'd buy all this food and he wouldn't eat it. I knew he liked Wellness dry from the time way back when that I had a sample for him. He ate it right up :)

Anyway, I had opened the bag of Evolve and dumped some into a container, then sealed it back up. I guess the top of the bag still smelled like food and he ran over and sniffed it all over trying to get at what was inside. So I figured I'd give him a treat and offer him a few pieces. He ran over and couldn't eat them fast enough! Then he was all over me trying to get more!! I also gave him a few pieces of Wellness which he seemed to enjoy again as well. Then he kept staring at the tower of cans, the bags of dry, and me... trying to give me this "but I'm sooooo hungry" look :) It was adorable.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I know that Wellness bags have an expiration date on them (I think their shelf life is about 6 months or so), did you happen to notice if the other bags had a "use by" date? I get more concerned about spoilage with higher-quality foods. If you have a vacuum sealer, that might help preserve the freshness longer, as well. The canned should be fine, though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The cans will stay good for 2 years or more, but the oils in the dry food can go rancid quickly once the bag is opened. Even sealed, dry food is only good for 1 year after manufacture (and I personally wouldn't push it that far!). There should be a date on the bag, either the day it was made or a "use by" date.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
821 Posts
Osnobunnie:
Now you know my problem working at a pet store. I'll come home with like 6 different cases of wet food for them.....costing me a lot even with my discount! But, I have 2 cats that eat 2 smalls cans a day each....so I guess I go though it faster than you. But still, the cupboard is FULL of cat food tins!

·
Registered
560 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
All for a grand total of 184 cans of food.
Gawd - your worse than me! :D I'll have to tell Brad now - so he can't lord my craziness over me!

Anyways - like above mentioned - Wellness has a date on the side - I checked for that too btw. :D Anyways - if your worried about it going bad - do what I do - go to petsmart and get a pet food container. I believe you can get an airtight one as well... I didn't want any of the food I give him to stale or go bad. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the dry food. The Wellness is dated April 2005 and the Evolve is June 2005. I've only opened the bags once. The Evolve is a much bigger bag, and the Wellness is still twice as much as the Blue I have, so I think I'll be feeding Evolve more often, then Wellness, then the Blue now and then.

If it gets down to it (like around February) and I still have a TON of dry left over, I may just give it to a friend with two cats... or donate it. Yeah, I'd rather donate it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha! Finally got the picture of what I've dubbed "Cat Food Mountain" uploaded. The dry food on top is only a portion of the big bags just out of the picture. I'm considering renting storage space somewhere for all this food :lol:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
8O 8O How many cats do you have, again?

:lol: Seriously, though, that's great. I think our brood would have that finished off in a month :roll:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just the one :oops:

I think I may have to go out and get a few more to finish off all the food! :lol:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Ha! Well, at least you ordered online and saved yourself the "looks" you get. I run to petsmart once a month and buy 60 nutro natural pouches. Of course they don't come in cartons or anything. The cashiers always look at me like...you've got to be kidding me.

The last time I was there, the cashiers was ringing up my multitudes of pouches and says to me, "So, do you have a cat?" I told her, "No, this is for me, a snack when I get home." I just couldn't help myself. :wink:

Either way, I was gonna say, I buy many different brands of dry cat food at one time, Wellness, Purina (they love it), Nutro, California Natural. Then I open all the bags and mix them together and store them in sealed tupperware containers. That way, they get a little bit of every kind.

·
Registered
560 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
Aha! Finally got the picture of what I've dubbed "Cat Food Mountain" uploaded. The dry food on top is only a portion of the big bags just out of the picture. I'm considering renting storage space somewhere for all this food :lol:

Wow... cra-z-ee! 8O That is a lot of food! Don't worry though - I think I might be there soon enough... I've already collected one case of Wellness canned so far... and I'll be collecting more and more as the weeks go by. I think I might stop at a years supply as well.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it isn't all bad though... because while I initially spent a lot of money, I had the money at the time. Now I know I won't have to worry about buying cat food for a really long time and can use the money for other things... like toys :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts