Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. My friend, Renee, took Pete, who was Karl's cat but he died. Now Pete is trying to go out the door into the garage. I knew this might happen but i prayed. Does anyone have any ideas to keep him away from the door? I saw a product that when placed near a door that emits a blast of air, which cats hate. I was thinking since she probably doesn't want to spend money on those type of things (money is tight). I was thinking of maybe a blast of citrus spray. Pete goes under the safe that is near the door. I suggested a fireplace cage (?) near the safe so he can't dart out or use cardboard. I just read that putting mothballs under the safe might work. I noticed that Renee is very slow going out the door, or for that matter anything she does is slow. I have been so worried about him going out doors because she is so slow. Since Karl got him at 10 months old he never went outside and never tried to go out. I don't know if he went out before Karl had him. I'm so worried he will get out and be killed. She already had 2 cats die from wildlife. I need suggestions asap. I was thinking of hair spray though I don't want him to inhale it but if it keeps him away from the door then so be it. It might help in the beginning.

I told Karl I would take Pete if he died. I love Pete so much. Too much and I worry about him. Karl wasn't supposed to die for at least another 5 years but it happened. I can't take him because I'm only supposed to have 1 cat but when i moved in they knew i had 2 cats but said when one died i can't replace him. I know someone here has nothing bettter to do than complain about other people and I would get caught with Pete and told to get rid of him. That would break my heart. If i have to I will take him back and he can live at Karl's for a while until I take him to my apartment. I'm just so worried about him.

What needs to happen is something that scares the crap out of him so he stays away from the doors.

Kathy

·
Banned
47 Posts
I'm looking for an answer to this too. My son's newly adopted one year old cat escaped the other night and thank goodness came back in the morning. I was googling and one site said to open the door a bit and if the cat tries to go out to stomp loudly on the floor to scare them. Worth a try I guess:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to be so blunt, but I can't think of a worse thing to use then a can of hairspray!! Toxic and irritating to lungs, mucous membranes, gut, everything. He could end up permanently blind if he gets a direct hit in his eyes. If you want to try something along those lines get plain old canned air that is used for electronics to blow out dust. How about locking the cat in a room if it's just for a short time. Adding an outside screen door so he can't just dart out. Does the garage have a big vehical door that can be closed when the cars are in the garage? I'm sure someone will come up with a great solution soon. Just don't use hairspray or anything that could be toxic or cause harm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts