Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SO was fired yesterday.

His company is hired through ElectroMotive to house/ship parts. There was talk and emails about how their "schedule" in April is completely empty, which means no work as of then.. so we started to save up thinking we had a bit before the axe came down.

Apparently, the SO (who has never missed a day, always comes in early, and is the one everyone goes to for help) "doesn't meet their qualifications" for his position. Versus the other few temp-agnecy staff who miss days constantly for various reasons, show up late, gossip like nags and don't know how to do their jobs half the time get to stay.

The only thing we can figure is that since he is a company employee rather than just a temp, he gets his vacation plus his benefits and that he would cost them more money... whereas the temps cost nothing and can be fired at a whim without reprecussions.

I gotta tell you, this club sucks. :(

·
Banned
12,195 Posts
When the other guy is part of the statistics, the statistics are just numbers. When it's you, then it's personal. Sometimes it's better to just be a number. Sorry to hear of your loss. And loss is it.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I'm so sorry that you are part of the club. Sadly, it makes business sense intheir minds to lose the people who cost them more money. I think it is very shortsighted, but that is how it goes.

I hope the SO finds something quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Good luck, and tell your SO to try not to take it too personally, as hard as that sounds. We are just seeing the worst of everyone right now - lots of people running scared and not doing the right thing. As if we can get by as a nation by treating each other badly - NOT!

My Hubby just went through the same thing - fired two years ago - back to school - a year job seeking - hired and laid off - now hired in a good job. The way he found the good job was by being out there getting schooling and training and meeting people. A recruiter for a local company heard about him through friends he made in one of his classes.

Lots of luck and good wishes....Fran

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am so sorry. It really does suck. It happened to me some months ago. I got laid off along with hundreds of others...and my former employers did it via email. Classy eh?

Not to be insensitive, but make sure you file for unemployment right away. Most states' departments of labor are overloaded with claims (and it's only going to get worse, unfortunately) and it can take time to get your claim through.

Good luck.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

He will be applying for EI Monday/Tuesday. He needed a few days to "absorb" everything.. shock, I guess. I felt the need to nag him to do it NOW, but I held back. :lol:

I know we will be okay, and the pets won't suffer any (it's almost peanuts to feed everyone per month), it's just scary! Suddenly, we have to worry about the little things, like stopping for coffee in the morning and going on a date once a week.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
I'm so very sorry. I was a member for eight loooooong months. I finally got a job after posting on Craigslist, and let me tell you, employers are looking at it. With times being so tough, a lot of companies aren't going through agencies anymore. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marie, you are our "Heros" story! :) We all look to you as inspiration.

He already has gotten a few calls from previous managers/bosses who would like copies of his resume because they can't believe he's fired and want to help him out. My dad and a few friends are also helping look and handing out resumes and good words to their contacts.

I told him he won't actually have to go LOOK for a job, maybe one will find him! LOL

I wonder if I should get him to post on Kijiji... :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
It took eight months. That shouldn't inspire anybody. :( But I thought I had a job all lined up if I waited a few months (long story), so I didn't even start really looking (and panicking) until that one fell through.

Sounds like your husband will land on his feet soon. Fingers and paws cross here. :D

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Actually, it sounds like your hubby is off to a good start - lots of people networking on his behalf! :)

And Kijiji - that sounds like a competitor to craigslist. I recommend he post something on it, yes! Believe it or not, the more people know about him and exactly what his skills are, the more likely he'll find something!

Lots of luck, Fran

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Muzby said:
He already has gotten a few calls from previous managers/bosses who would like copies of his resume because they can't believe he's fired and want to help him out. My dad and a few friends are also helping look and handing out resumes and good words to their contacts.

That could be really good news, it's all about who you know. The last two jobs I got were because people I once worked with found out I was available. Networking works way better then the employment ads.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Craigslist is great, I work for a non-profit and that's all we use these days.

Also, linkedin.com is a free service where you can start networking. I know there are a few others, but that's the only one I've tried. I'm not actively looking for a job, but keeping options open is always a good idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts