Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday afternoon the woman came to deliver Da Bird at last. I was elated. It cost me a lot because it's imported from the USA and only 2 stores in this country sell it ($13), but it was worth every penny! I closed myself in the bedroom to assemble it and then only waved the wand outside the bedroom door and Prince was already entranced!

After 1 full hour of continuous play, Prince started panting, so I only dragged the feathers, to avoid him jumping and I soon put the toy away.

This was the first time Prince actually cried because I stopped playing.

Prince is indoor/outdoor, but if I had an indoor-only cat, I'd be willing to invest 10 times more than I paid on Da Bird, because the amount of exercise and mental stimulation is amazing. It also gave Prince more confidence in his own movements and although it is interactive play, it stimulated his desire to explore playing on his own with other toys a lot more, which was a problem we had that I had posted a thread on ("Cat won't entertain himself).

I may sound like an ad for this toy, but we are really ecstatic with it. I can't thank you all enough for recommending it!

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
It is the best cat toy ever. I'm glad you finally got it and had so much fun with it. I think it's just as (if not more) entertaining for us watching them play and leap about.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Petco in the US sells it at $7.50, almost half what I paid. :-(

Oh and the woman advised how to use it so that the feathers don't have to be replaced often. She says that when the cat succeeds in grabbing the toy, don't pull, relax the hold, and wait till the cat releases it to pull again. Since Prince is such a big and strong boy, this tip saved the feathers. And all his biting hasn't spoilt them either, fortunately. She also advises to always put the toy away in a closed cabinet or drawer immediately after playing, not only for the surprise factor but because it's for supervised play only - cat might get tangled in the string and choke.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Or because you might have a cat like Nutmeg who will chew through the string to get the "bird" and then bring the "bird" to you in bed at 3am. She also carried it around all day yesterday, I didn't have the heart to take it away. I'm going to buy yet ANOTHER one tomorrow at Petco, they make so much money off of me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ok...all this talk about Da Bird......

I don't have one, but have looked at them online. How is it any different than other toys like it? (ie rod with string and thing attached to the end)

I'm sure I'll go ahead and buy one at some point, but have been wondering.....

·
Registered
805 Posts

I don't have one, but have looked at them online. How is it any different than other toys like it? (ie rod with string and thing attached to the end)

I personally don't think its any different, I bought a Petco brand one for $3.99 and my cat loves it :)

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Those DaBirds never disappoint, do they. Our problem was that Murphy would always chew through the string, leaving it in two pieces. That's been mostly fixed by the other DaBird toy, the one with a mouse on the end, where the "string" is a piece of wire.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm not playing with Da Bird as much now- maybe only once a week. Lily gets very possesive and starts growling when she catches it and then runs to take it "away" into the dining room. So Harli doesn't even try to get in on the action. After we play with Da Bird, I have to get a different toy out (a marabou feather on a string) so Harli can have some chase-and-jumping time.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Actually I just got a hold of the Cat Dancer which is not feathers but small bits of cardboard with catnip fixed to the end of a long, curved wire. If you're not into feathers, I find this is a good alternative interactive toy.

You kinda feel like you're fishing for cats. You hold out the thing like a fishing rod and the cats come get it!

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

It's a lot different from other wand toys. When you wave other wand toys, they just look like something on the end of a string being waved about. When you wave Da Bird, it truly looks like a bird flying through the air. It's the way the feathers flutter that makes it look very realistic. I actually didn't notice that until my son came over and played Da Bird with the girls, whereupon I was able to see Da Bird from a distance, since I wasn't the one holding the wand. I was amazed at how realistic it looks flying though the air. My girls go nuts over the toy.

I'm glad Prince enjoys it!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Agree with Susan....and you can actually hear the feathers flutter. You need to "whip" it from side to side to get this effect. If you just bounce it up and down it's no different than any other fishing pole toy.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My cat likes the fluffier ones, but the Petco brand comes with feather ones like Da Bird. The only difference it looks like is length.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Da MOUSE

Ritz loved Da Bird, unless I accidentally hit her with it, then she got spooked.
And then I introduced her to Da Mouse, same concept as Da Bird, a mouse on the end of a wire, and she prefers the Mouse to the Bird. (Perhaps because she watches live birds on the balcony all day from the comfort/confines of my living room).
I move DaMouse back and forth on the floor, 'hide' it under sofa or around low objects, and Ritz pounces on it, just like she would a live mouse. The mouse is indestructable, no matter how hard she bites down on it.
There might be two manufacturers of Da Mouse; if possible, chose the one with the wire-type string versus cloth type string. I find I have better control over where I want the mouse to go.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also got Da Bird based on recommendations here. I must put it away when not in use because Otis would chew the string to bits.

Caspian just BEGS to play with it.
Can you tell where I store Da Bird?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Da Bird has a swivel attachment on the end so the feathers can actually spin through the air. The same technology is used for fishing lures.

The difference between Da Bird and a few feathers tied to a piece of string is like the difference between an old station wagon and brand new sports car. They both do the same general thing, but in terms of fun, one does it much better :)

Honestly, as soon as I open the closet door, Tom is already clicking and dancing in circles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ohhhh, I must look into this fabulous toy for Gabby. I'm also going to look into Feliway my kitty has anxiety issues and I hope it will help her have an easier time with her transition to her new home.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts