Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been trying so hard to switch Pinky from the nasty friskies that she was on (because I was having money troubles) to Wellness. I was unsure how she would take it, but I gave her a little of the friskies and a little wellness. She ate the wellness and left the friskies behind for me to clean up!

I'm so excited! My baby girl is on the right track to fine food! Grain free and all. :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Congrats on the success! :) Wellness is my cats least favorite. They won't touch it unless its mixed with other food...

·
Registered
474 Posts
+1

I have half a case in the food cabinet collecting dust.
my kitties turned their nose up on wellness too. i wound up donating it to the local animal shelter.

btw to the original poster, congrats for being on your way to a better healthier diet for your babies :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found she likes the chicken and turkey way more than she liked the salmon. I gave her salmon as a treat today and she ate enough to fill her tummy then left the rest. She usually loves fish! Silly girl!

What do you feed your cats if they don't like Wellness, I know there are a lot of grain-free but I found the wellness was cheaper with my pet perks at pets mart. Only $70 worth of food in all, and I got 70 cans for the month with some dry for night because she sleeps most of the night but still gets up for snacks. Didn't want it getting icky. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No petco nearby. Pets Mart is in walking distance. :p

·
Registered
594 Posts
I found my kitties love the Wellness chicken and also the chicken & lobster - which they get as a treat sometimes. They don't love the other wellness flavors so much, but they'll eat them only if they're hungry enough. At least the chicken works. I have other brands to cover the other proteins. I bought a Wellness variety pack, thinking if they love the chicken so much they'll like the others, so need to try to get thru it, then I'll just be buying the chicken.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i feel like i've gone through all the grain-free cat foods that is available to me at my local pet stores and the brands that i bring home are the ones that our cats won't reject and they also tend to be more expensive, with the exception of one brand. they love earthborn holistic, which i can get for $1.25 for a 5.5 oz can. but the other brands are wayy above what i would like to spend. currently they are also getting weruva, tiki cat, nature's variety, ziwipeak, and addiction.

some brands i used to feed them that were more affordable but now they won't eat are evo, by nature, merrick (some varieties are not grain-free but a few are, so double check your labels), before grain, felidae, natural balance (this brand is a bit high in carbs tho)

it's kind of bad but i spoil our babies and love them so much. i definitely go over the budget with our cat's food and wind up cutting back on our budget for our food, etc.

so happy for the owners whose cats love wellness =) i wish i were as lucky!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I found she likes the chicken and turkey way more than she liked the salmon. I gave her salmon as a treat today and she ate enough to fill her tummy then left the rest. She usually loves fish! Silly girl!

What do you feed your cats if they don't like Wellness, I know there are a lot of grain-free but I found the wellness was cheaper with my pet perks at pets mart. Only $70 worth of food in all, and I got 70 cans for the month with some dry for night because she sleeps most of the night but still gets up for snacks. Didn't want it getting icky. :)
My kitty isnt crazy about wellness but he loves Avoderm- the chicken chunks in gravy or the chicken and duck in gravy varieties are grain free. I can put it on top of anything and he will eat it. Also soulistic chicken soup and chicken and pumpkin. I know petsmart carries the avoderm, not sure if they carry soulistic or not.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's not TOO picky, just has to be chunks. >_< But if that's all that I have to look for then I am lucky. Lol there are a lot of others out there and maybe, when the hubby gets a job (Darn this economy) we can get something more expensive. I know he will spoil her endless. She has him around her paws!

·
Registered
158 Posts
She's not TOO picky, just has to be chunks. >_< But if that's all that I have to look for then I am lucky. Lol there are a lot of others out there and maybe, when the hubby gets a job (Darn this economy) we can get something more expensive. I know he will spoil her endless. She has him around her paws!
Petsmart has Wellness (obviously), Avoderm, BlueBuffalo (and lots of new flavors as of late), Nature's Recipe (though it does have added salt), By Nature, and DeliFresh. Agreed, not all of them are the highest of quality, these are the higher ones at Petsmart.

Check into DeliFresh. That stuff is relatively inexpensive. I personally work at Petco, so with my discount I feed Nature's Instinct raw, making it cheaper than even feeding Nutro wet. The local Petsmart here is really branching out to the natural side.

·
Registered
72 Posts

My cats are gravy/chunk cats also so I understand.

Wild Delights (Blue Wilderness version of chunks in gravy) are a hit in my house. The Authority brand chunks in gravy are, while not the best quality, certainly are a good value for 47 cents for a 6 ounce can. (Better than Friskies and Pro Plan canned, at least). Soulistic is a great food at a good price, but still too expensive for me to feed exclusively. (Although they love it!!)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
great to be grain free

that's great that Pinky is now grain free! we also got our Angel off of the Friskies that she was getting at the shelter for the past 2 1/2 years and i think she is feeling better already. we went through sort of an experimental period for the 1st few weeks once we brought her home while we were trying to get her off the friskies and she kept having diarrhea every few days unfortunately. we were freaking out and felt so bad for the little girl.

after reading tons of posts here about what to do, we stopped the fish flavored stuff and gave the probiotics a try. she had great poop 3 days in a row after that, but then had a relapse and had, as my husband likes to say, "pancake batter" poop. so we took the next step and added a bit of pumpkin to her food. that was a little over a week ago and things have been really great since then.

we are feeding her "BG (before grain)" brand, which is made in TX. checked out their website and thought it looked like a great company. we pay $1.29/5.5 oz can, but luckily Angel is a little girl (maybe 8 lbs) and not REAL active, so she only eats half a can per day. chicken is the staple flavor, but she gets real excited when we add a little quail/chicken on her plate. BG also has turkey, tuna, and salmon which we'll try eventually, too. we're hoping she isn't really allergic to the fish flavored stuff, but would stop immediately if we saw signs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fun story, ever since I've been feeding her grain free, her stomach has been less irritated. Poor girl had serious problems. I guess she has a grain allergy. :|
She's also, in just a few days gotten a much better coat and has been a lot sweeter. :) I think Pinky may have been trying to tell me all along she needed healthier stuff. But those shelters, the food they give is, well, muchas mierda.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts