Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Sorry to post this as an introduction but I would like to request comments and suggestions regarding our cat that ran away from home yesterday. We found this male cat on the street when he was about 2 months old and we adopted him then. He has been with us for about 6 months now, so he is about 8 months old. We had him neutered when he was about 6 months old. We have given him lots of love and we could tell that he was a very happy feline as he has always been very attached to us, cuddling beside us whenever we are home and even sleeping on our bed every night. He had never left our home until now that he somehow managed to climb the wall and hit the street. We looked for him last night and this morning around our neighborhood without any luck. We live in a suburb, residential area, with relatively low car traffic, although, about 5 blocks from our house there is a busy commercial area. He was wearing a collar with a name tag with our phone number on it, although the collar is the "safety" type that snaps off easily if tugged on. Unfortunately there are no animal shelters in our area and there are quite a few stray cats around the neighborhood.
We don't understand why he ran away as we feel that he was very happy living with us. Could it be that it is just his natural instinct to go out and explore? Given that he never left home before, will he be able to find his way back even if he walks far away? How does his sense of direction work? Is it based on visually recognizing the area and by smell?
Our idea is to continue looking for him over the next few days around the neighborhood. We are very concerned as he has always fed on the cat food that we gave him and even though we offered him other types of food (left overs) he never ate anything else but his own cat food. What will he feed on?
As you might imagine, we are very saddened about this and we will greatly appreciate any comments, suggestions or experiences that you can share that might help us understand what we can expect.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Here are some helpful tips about finding lost cats.

Finding a Lost Pet | Little Big Cat

One thing that is mentioned is something I also read online a couple days ago. Someone spread their cat's (used) litter across their lawn and their cat returned home the next day. Looking for him at night with a flashlight is a good tip, too. Their eyes will reflect the light.

Your cat didn't run off because he didn't love you, cats are curious. Could have been a bird flying by, a female in heat, or anything really.

I hope you find him. Wish we were welcoming you under better circumstances. :patback

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's always good to PLASTER the area - near and far - with posters. Include a picture, and have your phone number be the biggest part to make it easy for people to get while driving by.

Someone in my area had a lost dog, and they did this. I swear every corner of the whole town had a lost poster, and she got him back! They can go further than you think.

Also post ads on Craigslist.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Remember to post flyers at all area vet clinics, grooming salons, pet supply stores, boarding facilities, super markets, anyplace a pet lover might see it and recognize him. Inveriably, its animal people that notice stray animals, so best to target that audience.

Don't give up! 24 hours gone isn't all hope lost. My boyfriend lost his kitty and she was found again 2 months later (she had been shut in someones shed)

Shine flashlights under shrubs. Knock on doors. If there are lots of strays, someone may be feeding them and may see him and remember him.

Is he microchipped? That might help if his collar comes off. Good luck! I really hope you find your kitty!

ETA: Marie is right, your kitty loves you very much but is a curious young buck whose wandering eyes have got him lost. Nothing more. I'm sure he will be more than thrilled to see you when you find him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never had to experience that, so I can't imagine the fear you must be going through.
Sengi is right about plastering the area with pictures and details. Knock on doors and ask around. Craigslist might also be a good "bulletin board" to spread the information. Sending you luck via the 'net, and don't give up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
post picture and description in craigslist if available in your area,the result it is very good.
put flyers in mailbox sections in your neighborhood. if you have garage live it a little open and leave some food in there and he might come for food. he is probably scared and hiding somewhere and since he is not familiar with the areas you might want to walk around the neighborhood at NIGHT and call his name or anything that he is use to getting his attention and see if he comes out. cats are normally hide during the day because it is too crowded but at nite they get out!
good luck and don't give up hope.

few years ago i accidently left my orange tabby out in back yard and went to work and when i came home i looked for him and then realized she was left out. i look all over the neighborhhod for her for one hour at nite and call her name and left some food in back yard by the patio for her and i saw her climbing the wood fence and and start eating the food. she was quite dirty and greasy, looks like she was scared and was hiding under the cars and wheel area!!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Our TNR/Rescue group has been sucessful in finding a lost cats. One was out over a month and we got her. We print up flyers with picture and our phone number. We go house the house in a 2 mile radius handing out flyers t talking to people. Youd be surprised at the number of people who would say they jog and would keep an eye out for the kitty. I ask if they even have a sighting to call us. Then we put a trap in the area the cat was spotted in. We also poster them up all over the place. And at the vet clinics too. If your cat is microchipped that will help if found and people take it to a rescue or vet office.

continue to leave the cats food and bed outside your door incase it can figure out its way back to you. Dont give up hope. We tried for over a month. It was a 40 min drive and we did the drive to the area a couple times a day. We walked the arroya calling for her too.

Fingers crossed and prayers you find your kitty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry! There has been some very good advice given here. I sure do hope you find your cat, I know I would be in a panic.

Talk to kids in your neighborhood - they seem to know everything that goes on, and they tend to "see" animals better than grown ups do!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about your kitty. We had the same thing happen to our calico once but luckily she was chiped and had a collar on. A woman found her running in her backyard and got the collar off her. She was able to call our house and we were able to pick her up. I would say when you get your kitty back to have him chipped by a vet just in case it ever happens again. That way if an animal shelter picks him up they can check and trace him back to you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've heard of one person who found their kitty by leaving a baby monitor next to the food outside on her porch. That way she would hear when kitty came around.

Make sure if you're using flashlights that they're incandescent bulbs and not LED since LED lights don't cast the sort of shadows that will be helpful in finding a kitty.

Also, talk to any of the local groups who do TNR and feral rescue and also who manage the local feral colonies. They'll be a great network for you to tap into of people watching for your kitty at their food and trap sites. As well if your kitty is spotted they can help you with trapping advice and equipment. I sure do hope you find your kitty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOOD NEWS! - Our cat is back with us!

It turns out that on the same day that he disappeared from our home he climbed through a neighbor's window and stayed inside their home. They are not much of a pet people but fortunately they managed to take care of him until we found out that they had him.

We are very happy, of course, and now we are just worried as to what to do in order to avoid this from happening again in the future. We are now afraid to let our cat out in our yard and have kept him inside the house but we realize that we can't keep him inside forever and it would not be fair to the little guy. We read that if the cat knows the neighborhood well, if he does get out, he can always come back as he won't get lost. The question is, how do you get him to know the neighborhood? Do you "walk him with a leash"? Do you carry him and walk around? How do you manage this?

Once again, thank you all for your previous supportive comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts