Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I'm new here so here is a bit about my adult cat history.

Our first cat was a DeeTroit alley cat who took things in his own paws and sort of rescued himself. He followed some AT&T sales people into their building from a snow storm outside. They had no milk so the guys mixed water with Cremora and gave him that. At the end of the day what to do with the cat? Couldn't throw him back out into the snow. We were newly married so hubby brought him home to me as a surprise. Surprised I was! Mickey died at 18 after 17 1/2 years with us.

I waited a year (sounds silly but I had to grieve) and then purchased a Maine **** kitten from Bigfoot cattery in Washington State. I named her after the Irish warrior Queen because she was so wild. We lost our beloved Maeve Christmas Eve 2009 when she was 17. After having a Maine **** once that was the only breed I would consider having again. Anyone who has owned one of these wonderful cats understands why.

By now we were older, hubby was retired and my income had decreased so I was trying to find a low cost alternative to a $1000 (plus shipping) purebred Maine **** kitten so I started looking around the web and signing up for various notices that adult cats were available. I also went to local adoption fairs and contacted MC rescue organizations. I had just about given up finding what I wanted when last month I received a tweet about a retired Maine **** that was being re-homed. Nothing new, I had contracted a lot of breeders about retired breeding/show cats to no avail because most of the cats were on the wrong coast and the breeders wouldn't ship.

But this time the breeder was closer and actually offered me a cat. Not the male I had emailed about (he needed a different type of home) but a retired female. She wanted a home for her with no kids (they terrorized her) and no other pets so she could finally get the attention she deserved. Hubby's only requirement was that the new cat be affectionate and sit on laps. My requirements were that she like to be held, have prominent ear tips, and not be a brown tabby (36 years of brown tabbies and I wanted a different color). Our requirements meshed and I excitedly told the breeder yes I wanted her. A short week later after after an exchange of emails, references, and phone calls she was here with us. All for a fraction of what she is worth. I had wanted a discounted adult and ended up with this treasure. Three catteries wanted to add her genes to their breeding programs so she is one lovely lady. Personality wise not at all like our previous cats. We are still getting to know one another but she is extremely athletic, doesn't sleep much and wants to play constantly.

Lest you think she has led a cushy life we are her 4th or 5th home and she is only two years old. Apparently she was either born into or sold to a large East Coast cattery as a breeding cat and confined to a cage where she either refused to do "the deed" or nothing came of the deed. So she was shipped to a smaller cattery on the West Coast. Same result. When the last breeder got her she was skinny and matted so bad she had to be shaved (except for her neck ruff). Lots of TLC from this last breeder and no cages (or kids) put 3 pounds back on her (a lot for a cat to lose) but she would contribute nothing to her blood lines either. So her breeding days were officially declared over with a spaying.

I can't wait for her full coat to grow out. Right now all the layers of fur are the same length so her silky over coat is hidden in the fuzzy undercoat. And her belly fur was shaved yet again for the spaying. Her papers should he here in a week too and I'm very interested to see where she originated and if she was shown. I was kind of shocked to hear about the cages but the last breeder said some large catteries still cage their cats. I can imagine why they had problems-this cat needs room to run, no bossy queens dictating terms to her, and certainly no aggressive males biting the back of her neck. We renamed our cat Sáoirse (sheer-sa) which means freedom.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am from Seattle myself. I loved the stories of your kitties, especially Mickey. You are golden in my book for taking that fella in and treating him so well that he made it to 18 years old. I can't wait to hear more and see some pics of your lovely Sáoirse. Take care! :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't seem silly that you had to wait a year until you were ready for another cat. We get attached to our pets.. they have their own personalities and they live for such a long time that it's just like having another person around sometimes.

I've always wanted a Maine **** but the price of one is way out of my league.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts