Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved into a new apartment, and we've been having some issues. Mind you, it is only been 6 days. We have two little ones : one is one and a half years old and the other one is one year old, a male and a female respectively. Once we got into the new home they had some trouble adjusting like any cat, they were hiding, whining, sniffing around for reassurance. We took all the steps necessary as recommended by our veterinarian and by a lot of websites that we read.
However we have one big issue. There are a few areas in this new apartment that we have access to, but often they need to remain closed because they share space with the other apartment windows and we can't just waltz into there chatting up a storm or cooking or what have you. It's supposed to be a quiet space. Our two cats tend to rough-play a lot and they are very vocal. They tend to chase each other and call each other and tumble around and move objects. They can be very very noisy. We prefer to have the cats in these areas while we're there.
So we shut the doors at night. The two cats have noticed that we close the doors and they just happened to love these common areas. Last night they kept us up almost all night. They were screaming and whining at 3 AM in the morning because they wanted to have access to these areas. There is nothing I can do to ease them. They just want to get in there, and there are no ifs or buts about it. I wouldn't have a problem with it if this happened during the day.... But at 3 AM! It's just becoming too much. This is the third night in a row and I am out of ideas. I don't want to antagonize the cats because there's no way that scolding them or threatening them will help. Does anybody have any ideas? We fear the people surrounding will get angry about all the noise they make if we let them in there.

Have fun everyone.....

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
You are going to have to tough this out. They will whine and cry, but YOU need to be the tough parent! It's much like keeping an indoor/outdoor kitty indoors all the time now. It will take a few weeks but they will learn that no means no eventually. If you EVER let them out again, they will be miserable again, so my recommendation is to keep those spaces off limits to them for good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
.............. They were screaming and whining at 3 AM in the morning because they wanted to have access to these areas. There is nothing I can do to ease them. They just want to get in there, and there are no ifs or buts about it. I wouldn't have a problem with it if this happened during the day.... But at 3 AM! .........
I wonder what it is with cats and 3AM!!! :???:
I have the same problem and when I looked through other posts, it seems like almost everyone has had the same 3AM blues.:cool:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I agree with Marcia. if you don't ever let them in there, even with you, they'll forget about it. (someday LOL). but if you let them go in there in the day, your 3 AM serenade will never end.

you're doing the right thing, cats can be pretty noisy and you don't want to make enemies with your neighbors before you even make friends with them. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I first got married, my wife had this big friendly Siamese neutered male, ChimChim. He was a terrific cat and accepted my presence in the family quite well -- my wife had 2 young sons, 6 & 7, and Chimmy was a great companion to them, too.

But nights, Chimmy demanded to sleep in the middle between my wife and me. And naturally, she and I kept our bedroom door closed when we went to bed anyway, for general privacy, we being newlyweds and fairly, mmm, active.

Well, the boys were perfectly accepting a newly closed bedroom door but Chimmy was indignant! He'd sit outside the door in the hallway and moan, and you know how loud and vocal Siamese can be! It literally kept us all awake.

This went on for about 3-4 weeks until Chimmy learned that the door wasn't going to be opened. However, occasionally, my wife or I would need to scoot to the bathroom in the night, and leave the door open while. One particular night, I came back to bed, my wife was slightly awakened, and she rolled over to me, "Honey, hold me!" and we both had a cat eruption between us! Chimmy had sneaked in, snuggled down deep in the middle of the bed under the covers, was getting squashed!

Anyway, yes you've got to put your foot down and it will eventually quiet down. Good luck and don't show signs of weakness -- your cats can tell! ha ha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to all for the wonderful replies...
I especially liked katdad's sexual innunendo :) :) :)
I will try your techniques out...

See you at 3am!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts