Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have 2 lovely kittens and want to wean them from wet food to dry. They are eating like troopers and going through a pouch a day each, and snacking on dry food. They don't appear to enjoy it much at meal times though and won't eat much, even when I add gravy. Any ideas for me?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
978 Posts
I really wouldn't do it. Once they get addicted to dry, there's no going back. My cat won't even sniff wet food.

Wet food is better for them so if they're eating it, let them keep eating it. Dry food doesn't contain much moisture and cats don't have a drive to drink much anyways. This can lead to urinary issues later on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, ok, is there anything I can switch to then that's cheaper than generic wet cat foods? I'm a new cat owner, I'm not sure of the best route to take!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, ok, is there anything I can switch to then that's cheaper than generic wet cat foods? I'm a new cat owner, I'm not sure of the best route to take!
The best commercial cat wet foods, in my opinion, are Nature's Variety 95% and Weruva/BFF. These are pricy, but the way I think of it, it saves on vet bills in the long run, right?? :wink: If you do want to go for the lower end stuff, try to avoid "red flag ingredients" such as carrageenan, guar gum, byproducts, grains, etc. And try not to feed fish (or BFF) too often because it should only be fed as a treat, i.e. once a week or so. My personal favorite is Weruva, I've got to say.

I have my cats on Nature's Variety raw food, and they are doing so well! :D That is always an option if you are willing. It is a bit pricy but it is so worth it to see the kitties thriving! And it's as easy as feeding other foods!

Personally, I wouldn't start with the kibbles (dry food). Once you get them started, these kibble addicts won't eat anything else! :wink:

·
Registered
978 Posts
The best commercial cat wet foods, in my opinion, are Nature's Variety 95% and Weruva/BFF. These are pricy, but the way I think of it, it saves on vet bills in the long run, right?? :wink: If you do want to go for the lower end stuff, try to avoid "red flag ingredients" such as carrageenan, guar gum, byproducts, grains, etc. And try not to feed fish (or BFF) too often because it should only be fed as a treat, i.e. once a week or so. My personal favorite is Weruva, I've got to say.

I have my cats on Nature's Variety raw food, and they are doing so well! :D That is always an option if you are willing. It is a bit pricy but it is so worth it to see the kitties thriving! And it's as easy as feeding other foods!

Personally, I wouldn't start with the kibbles (dry food). Once you get them started, these kibble addicts won't eat anything else! :wink:
Guar gum is completely safe. Carrageenan is "iffy" but not necessary to completely avoid. It's in a LOT of human food too.

EVO 95% is also good and it's fairly cheap if you buy the big cans by the case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guar gum is completely safe. Carrageenan is "iffy" but not necessary to completely avoid. It's in a LOT of human food too.

EVO 95% is also good and it's fairly cheap if you buy the big cans by the case.
Hm, I did not know that about guar gum! Good to know! As for the carrageenan, it's just something I don't care for in human or cat foods, just to be on the safe side.

I agree with EVO!

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
What type are you feeding? Kittens eat a lot more since they're growing, when they're older you won't need to feed as much.

Some of the top wet food brands found in pet stores: EVO, Wellness, Merrick. They're talked about a lot on this forum.

EVO you may be able to find for around 1.90 for a 13 oz can. Felidae you may pay a little less than EVO for a 13 oz can. Innova is also around that price as well for their larger tins.

Some cat food that's a little cheaper than those is Chicken Soup for the Cat, it's decent but not the best. I don't live in the USA but if you're near a Trader Joe's store, I've heard from various posts around here that its cat food brand is actually a decent too.

You want to avoid by-products and grains if at all possible. You won't find decent foods in grocery stores except for the above mentioned one (they only want to make you think they're good with fancy names and bags). You're going to save money buying the larger tins as well, so with any brand where you're able to do that, you should.

·
Registered
804 Posts
At chewy.com you can get the EVO 95% food that people are talking about in chicken and turkey cat and kitten food in 13.2 cans and if you cat two cases, shipping is free and the cost per oz is only $0.15. The beef is the same price.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Please, please don't feed dry food. Dry food is horrible for cats. It doesn't "clean their teeth" and it's completely inappropriate for carnivores with low thirst drives (i.e., cats.)

Kibble is also often contaminated with bacteria, and it can lead to health problems later in life, and dehydration.

It may be cheaper, but don't cheapen your cats' lives by putting them on dry.

I have found some options for you for good canned food in the UK:

http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/113328-good-quality-uk-tinned-cat-food.html

-Bozita
-Natures:Menu
-Applaws
-Eagle Pack
-Felidae
-Natures Variety

Here are some online sites you can purchase food from:

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus
Bozita Feline Cat Food - Bozita.com
Bozita Wet Cat Food :: Cats & Kittens :: R & L Pet Products - Pet food, litter, hygiene, accessories & toys
the Petfood Warehouse - Site Map / Browse by Category - Pet Products Delivered to Your Door

·
Registered
179 Posts
What we did is put water with the dry food it makes it a bit mushy. Then you slowly reduce the amount of water

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 12 of 12 Posts