Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and have lots of questions :)

At 10 to 11 weeks, my kitten's front teeth, the incisors, all went missing. I hadn't even noticed until they were all gone (she elaborately yawned in my direction). Isn't that rather early?

I got her at 8 weeks, and noticed she's not a big eater. I give her 30 grams a day, and she always leaves food in the bowl. I think she eats about 20 grams. She gets dry food only, and 100ml of kitten milk a day. (Water she barely touches, even if there's no milk in her third bowl yet.) She looks perfectly all right to me.

Since the teeth went missing, she's eating less, though not that much less. Still, I'm a bit concerned. Do I need to give her wet food during this time? Will that make her eat more?

She started to want to bite things at 10 weeks as well. As for something to chew on. I gave her a shoelace, tied knots all over its length (an inch apart), and tied the ends together. It sort of looks like a bracelet. She seems to like chewing on the knots and drags the thing around. Is there something else (home-made) that I can give her?

BTW, I'm seeing the vet tomorrow, but would like your advice :)

Nishi
(Avatar = my kitten. She's 11 weeks.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesss!!!!! I've just tried adding a bit of water to the dry food. She ate a lot, a lot more than she has been eating the past week, just gobbled it up, so I'm happy :) It does prove that it's her teeth giving her trouble, and not something else. Do you suppose it's okay to keep adding water to the dry food, or should I buy canned food?

Nishi
(Completely, utterly new to cats, have you noticed? :) )

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Nishi. Welcome to the forum. :)

According to http://www.1stchoice.ca/en/fiches/fiche ... ntaire.asp, cats begin to lose their teeth at 11 weeks, so I don't think your cat is losing them too early. I don't know too much about it, though, so if a more knowledgable poster disagrees, take his or her word for it over mine.

My cat has never been a big fan of homemade cat toys (he's a snob), but other cats seem to really like rolled up balls of aluminum foil or the plastic rings from gallons of milk. One homemade toy that Sabby will play with is a small catnip-filled plastic egg that my nylons came in with holes punctured on the flat side. My fiance threw in a wadded up gum wrapper to add some noise to the toy.

If you add water to dry food, you'll need to throw it out after only a few minutes (I can't remember the exact amount of time, but I think it's somewhere around 15 minutes). There are millions of bacteria on the surface of dry food that will proliferate if you add moisture to it that can make your cat sick. I would recommend feeding an all-canned diet. I'm a big fan of feeding all-canned and would recommend feeding it throughout her life.

Good luck!

P.S. Your kitten is adorable!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anissa, Lisa,

Good that you told me, 'cause I didn't know about the bacteria. I always leave her food bowl filled, so she can go eat whenever she wants, and that's what I did with the dry food + water. I think I'll keep giving her a bowl of dry food the way she's used to, and I'm going to give her dry food + water a few times a day until the weekend, when I can go buy her some canned food. I'm going to try giving her that. Maybe she'll eat better.

Adorable? Thank you! She's a handful, though. So far there's one word she understands perfectly, and that is "milk". Each time I say it she comes storming into the kitchen, making squeaky, chirp-like noises. (She sometimes does that when playing also.)

I thought balls where her favorite toy at first. I bought those. But this is a tough audience, so I introduced her to all sorts of things. I had no choice :) The inside of a toilet roll, a piece of cardboard (now has puncture holes), a crumpled up piece of paper, a pencil (she found that all by herself - I can't write anything down anymore). I recently made my own variation of a mobile with things for her to swat at. Just three strings hanging from a long stick that I stuck into my bookcase horizontally. Attached to the strings are a small cube made out of cardboard, a clothes pin (amazingly popular), and a small piece of wood that makes a very nice sound when it hits the bookcase. Of course, she keeps doing that :) The entire bookcase has become her playground now. Yesterday, I was thinking it's a good thing there's so much stuff in it, but this morning she jumped into the bookcase, and stayed there, resting on top of the books.

I like making things for her to play with. It's worth it just to see her react to something new.

As for things to chew on, I have no idea beyond the knotted shoelace. I needed to give her something FAST.

I read somewhere on the net (sorry, don't remember where) that something made out of rubber is ideal. I haven't seen anything like that among cat toys, so maybe a baby's teething ring? If that's not too big for her. I'm also thinking of giving her a small blanket to chew on, as she always tries to bite/suck on the bed covers when she becomes playful (at about 6 in the morning) :) :)

Nishi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts