Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miu is about 2 yrs old and 7.5 pounds. She's an energetic one but I think she needs to lose a bit of weight. I can't really feel her ribs well when I run my hands down her sides.

It's been about 3 weeks or so since I reduced some of her food. However, she still weighs the same. How low can I go before it starts to be too much? I'm thinkin of reducing her dinner now to 1.3oz for a week to see if it helps.

Breakfast
1.8 oz canned (down from 2.0 oz)

Dinner
1.4 oz raw

Snack
0.2 oz dry kibble (down from 0.3 oz)

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nan. She's always been quite small so no, I've not dwindled her down to a emasculated cat. :) She's not exactly short-haired or hairless so I'm having a bit of trouble determining how overweight she is. She seems to have a bit of a 'bump' around the middle when look at her top down. I don't have a good pic from that view but here are some pics of the little rascal.

She's at a good weight in this pic.

Here is a more recent pic along with Rocky the dog who's weighs exactly the same as Miu. Can't really tell her weight since she's scrunched up, but don't have a better one yet :(

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
One of the more knowledgeable members of this site recommends weighing your cat monthly with a accurate scale and keeping a log of the weight.
I believe she uses a digital baby scale and a spread sheet program to track the weight of her various cats.
Cat are very good at hiding discomfort and continued weight loss can be the sign that something is amiss.
If you do determine your cat is over weight you can reduce food intake and monitor any weight loss or gain.
My Samantha was a long haired cat and when she was stricken with cancer I was chagrined to learn from the Vet her weight which was just under 10 lbs, in her prime she weighed 15-17 lbs, she was a quite large Maine **** Cat and I now live with the guilt that if I had tracked her weight I could have caught her cancer earlier.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry to hear about Samantha.

Miu isn't LOSING weight. I think she's gained a bit around the middle. I'll double check her records, but I don't believe there's been any major fluctuation in numbers.

I'm reducing her food slowly for the weight loss. I'm just concerned how I'll be able to tell at what point I'd be underfeeding her.

·
Registered
716 Posts
why don't you cut out the kibble instead of reducing the wet? the carbs could be the reason for the extra weight. I would definately find a way to weigh her regularly if you are trying to get her to lose weight, you dont want her to loose too much too fast

·
Registered
435 Posts
Second the suggestions of regularly weighing Miu and cutting out the kibble. If Miu *must* have a snack, try one or two freeze-dried treats, they are 100% meat/poultry. The ones marketed to dogs are okay for cats, as long as the ONLY ingredient is meat/poultry. Some cats love liver treats.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you cut your cat's food down any further than you already have, definitely remove the kibble (JUST the kibble) - calories from carbs and starches (the primary ingredients in most kibble) are converted almost directly into body fat by cats. (Cats utilize animal protein and fat to grow, repair, and maintain every system in their bodies.)

AC
I totally agree. Not to mention kibble digests slower so if there are any bacteria in the raw food you feed, it will be "trapped" and absorbed by the kibble and manifest in the stomach, when instead, the cat digestive system is so capable of handling bacteria because it is so fast (~4 hours). Kibble has plant protein which is slow to digest whereas animal protein digests very quickly.

In short, ditch the kibble. If you insist on a snack, get some 100% pure dehydrated meat snacks. My cats LOVE them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I agree with ditching the kibble (just the kibble). that is one of the best things to do for a cat on a "diet". Freeze dried meat snacks or a chicken heart would probably be enjoyed by her in the evening.

Then weigh and chart, if she loses too fast add another bite or two of raw or wet. (as long as the wet has no grains. if it does just add the raw :D ).

If you really want to know what "shape" your cat is holding.. snap a pic after bath time. they hate it...since they can't make themselves look thin when looking like a drowned rat.. (yes I am joking)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. That's what I was thinking of doing in the long run anyways after I finish this bag of kibble. I bought a lot of yummy freeze dried meats that can be shared amongst Rocky the dog and the kitties. I don't believe freeze dried is very filling (it's as light as air) so I was debating between a wet snack, raw snack or a handful of freeze dried.

Auntie Crazy you're right. She's 7.5lbs so 3.4 oz of food is a bit under 3%. I thought you would go up to 3% for very active kitties. She bounces around but she's not as active as she was as a kitten anymore. As well, her metabolism would have slowed down a bit too since she's 2.5 yrs old. Would being even closer to 3oz (which is 2.5%) might be more appropriate?

I also remember reading here about 20-25 calories per lb of body weight. At 23 calories per lb (mid-range), She would require 172.5 calories. Right now I'm feeding 166.20 calories.

I'm so confused! Which benchmark should I be using?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts