Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to put my cat on a more portion control diet to lose a couple lbs. I feed him EVO dry or Merricks canned food. I know EVO brand has a weight control dry for cats. Are those weight control foods worth purchasing or am I better off just using what I have been just with portion controlled? I know I will add more canned but not sure which dry to get him. He is on regular EVO right now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EVO'S site has a feeding calculator and it says for my cat, he is about 15.5 ( he is not extremely obese since he is naturally a big cat as I have taken him to vet but couldn't hurt to lose 1-2 lbs) and it says 3/4 cup a day for dry. Does that sound about right? Of course, If i feed him canned I won't feed that much but just wanted to make sure that 3/4 a day isn't too much for an adult cat. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey!
Ya I figured weight control wouldn't be so healthy and it would just mean adding extra unnecessary things since it's the same way for human "diet" food . I will slowly get my cat off of dry but is their any thing better than EVO that I can use for now to slowly take him off? I use Merrick canned food but he only likes to eat one flavor and I use the term eatIn very loosely. He drinks the water And eats about 1/3 of it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I second AC's advice. I see a lot of people struggling with portion-controlling dry food or using special weight control kibble and it just seems like way more work than is really needed to get a cat to slim down, which is because the food isn't quite as nutrient dense and contains too many carbs.

As soon as I took Apollo off all kibble (even after he was getting 1/2 dry 1/2 canned he was still chubby) he slimmed down, and hasn't had any weight issues since.

EVO and Wellness CORE are about as good as you can get in a dry food as far as I know. That's what Apollo was on actually.

Since it sounds like you're trying to switch to canned anyway (and just dealing with the stubborn kitty issue) I wouldn't bother switching to another dry in the interim. You're already feeding the best dry you can I think. Just keep at the slow wet transition. It can take a while. Apollo would only eat 1/3 a can per day at first but now he loooves canned. Basically you just have to keep gradually increasing the canned and reducing the kibble every few days to get him used to the new food.

Thankfully there are also a lot of good canned options you can experiment with if he doesn't like the one. I rotate my cats on several different flavors and brands (offering a different one each day) that I've found they like including Merrick, Wellness, and Evo.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyOne for your replies! That really helped me out . I actually went and got the wellness wet food to try it and he cleaned the bowl at night ! I have never seen him clean his bowl for wet food and he hasn't event asked for food after. Im Going to try abs feed him Wet food tomorrow morning so hopefully it works out appreciate the help!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's an excellent update, MizzKitty!

It's best to feed a rotation of canned foods so your boy won't become fixated on any one flavor (bad if they change or discontinue the product) and to dilute the consequences of any potential quality controls issues. Before I went raw, my cats were eating 21 different canned food products (they never got any one food more than once a week :p).

Continued good luck to you!

AC
Thanks for the advice! I try to feed him good quality brands and I'm sure their are some I haven't heard of and would love to know any other brands that you have had success with so I can give to my picky cat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts