Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magic one of my gang had a very rare moment of wanting to bond this morning .. she got up onto my lap and was kneading frantically .... I was however completly startled at how heavy she has become.

So I went around and weighed the crew .. they have ALL put on weight , yet it looks as though they have lost weight since being on RAW food ...I found it quite odd anyone else notice this ???

So I would assume they are now building muscle ??? I had the kittens at the vet for their shots and he asked me what im feeding them because Tyson shines like he has being polished .. of course being black it easier to notice.

My vet was quite shocked to hear that they eat only RAW..... but he was gracious enough to admit he has never seen a cat in such good condition as Tyson.... :p

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So long as they are not getting fat I would indeed say muscle is being built and fat is being burned. Make sure you feel the cats to make sure they still feel like they are a healthy weight (should be able to feel but not see ribs). I Definitely have noticed that Willie is getting some awesome muscles, he never had any extra weight, he's very skinny with a sprinter's body and always has been, but he is getting muscles for sure. It must be so great to have people notice the great condition your cats are in, you must be a proud momma, aren't you glad you feed raw?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This seems to be a healthy weight .. I can barely feel ribs and they have that athletic look to them .. cant think of another way to put it.

Visually their is no more flab .... they all look slinky.....I check them all the time .. but not all of them tolerate being picked up.. and thats how I noticed Magic.

Im very pleased with the RAW diet ..... and its easy and convenient ...Tyson is no longer constipated , or has the runs.. now he has a "normal" stool"

Talking about stools .... they look like little round pellets almost like large rabbit poop..and almost smell free:)

·
Banned
952 Posts
Ditto everything already said.

I think it's likely the gain in muscle is caused by the increased activity level. More running around acting like a crazy kitten = more muscle for all that leaping and sprinting. :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I definitely agree with everything said and have the same experience.

The only thing I'd like to say is that I'm NOT going to worry that my cats may become overweight on raw, and I feed them as much as they want. IMHO raw is a very healthy diet and I seriously doubt that a cat can become overweight if he is on raw only. Once again - just my opinion.

Also, my vet (not a hollistic one) approved raw diet!!!! He just told me that most people do not want to put any efforts to do it "right" - either to add vitamins/supplements or to do all this "bones, organs, liver etc.", they just want to feed meat only.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Vanessa said:
The only thing I'd like to say is that I'm NOT going to worry that my cats may become overweight on raw, and I feed them as much as they want. IMHO raw is a very healthy diet and I seriously doubt that a cat can become overweight if he is on raw only. Once again - just my opinion.
If a cat eats too many calories, whether raw or Meow Mix, (s)he will become overweight. It's just the laws of physics/biology...

·
Banned
952 Posts
doodlebug said:
Vanessa said:
If a cat eats too many calories, whether raw or Meow Mix, (s)he will become overweight. It's just the laws of physics/biology...
Yup. Calories Burned < Calories Eaten = Weight Gain, no matter how pure the form of calories involved. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I eat salad leaves only with no dressing I doubt I'll gain much weight :D Although my girlfriend used to say "A cow eats grass but she is still a cow" :D

Just IMHO if cats get as much food as they want they start to eat less. They do not need to be greedy with food because they know that the food will be served to them on their first demand :D . At least my cats started to skip breakfast and eat less in general. Maybe it's just because they get older, I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Vanessa said:
If I eat salad leaves only with no dressing I doubt I'll gain much weight
Right...and if your cat ate nothing but plain salad I'd agree with you. But you can't compare salad to raw meat...a raw diet is significantly more calorie dense than salad...about 20 times more.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Back when I was feeding a carb-heavy, premium dry kibble free choice to my cats, I had a house full of fat felines, several of whom were morbidly obese. Having food available 24/7 didn't diminish their appetites or convince them to self-regulate their caloric intake. Quite the contrary. They ate and ate and ate. It's taken me two years to take the extra pounds off of them, and several still have a ways to go. I now feed a small amount of low-carb kibble (Evo) for breakfast and a raw meat/bones/organs meal at night, but I wouldn't dare offer either one free-choice. My cats are gluttons, plain and simple. If I butchered a cow and tossed the carcass on my kitchen floor, I doubt if any of the animals would quit eating until they either exploded or lost consciousness.

Laurie

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My cats are gluttons, plain and simple. If I butchered a cow and tossed the carcass on my kitchen floor, I doubt if any of the animals would quit eating until they either exploded or lost consciousness.
Ditto... :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wish my cats were not that picky (sigh). They can eat chicken for a few days max then they would demand something else. They like variety and often they don't like "today" what they just loved "yesterday". Spoiled cats :D .

I wish they gained some weight but they are persians who are supposed to be stocky and a little overweight. They are also young (under one year) and very active (run 3-story house) and I'm afraid they burn too much calories during their activities.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Believe me, no breed is supposed to be overweight :wink: I would be proud that my cats are nice and thin (assuming they are not underweight either) since his means they will live longer and will be more mobile and comfortable in their old age, they'll avoid arthritis or at least pain on arthritic joints caused by extra weight. People are used to seeing overweight animals and think it's okay, but it's really not. You should be able to feel ribs but not see them. You should not see hip bones or the spine.

Lots of cats like variety, and there are lots of meats to choose from. Chicken, lamb, beef, rabbit, turkey, quail, mouse, rat, Guinea Pig, venison, etc. Luckily my cat does not have this picky problem :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts