Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Miu, my female cat, has gained a bit of weight. She's not obese, but I can't feel her ribs comfortably. The last time she was weighed before she got 'fat', she was roughly 7-8lbs. I haven't weighed her recently but I will as soon as I fix the broken scale.

She's fed 3 meals a day, I've reduced two of those meals for about a week.

Reasonably, I'm wondering when I would expect results? Any pointers?

I'm gauging her on about 23 calories per pound (she's semi-active, running around up and down 3 floors when she's awake). I'm aiming for 7-7.5 pounds as approx. optimal weight. So that would be about 161 - 172.5/day.

Her diet is as follows with approx figures:

Breakfast, canned (1.8oz = 73.8 cal, down from 2.0 oz)
Daily rotation on: Nature's Variety Instinct (Duck, Venison or Lam), Petcurean Go! (Chicken, Turkey, Duck), Wellness Core (Cicken Turkey, Chicken Liver)

Dinner, raw (1.4oz, 64.6 - 68.2 cal)
Quail with bone 0.9 oz = 48.6 cal
Chicken heart Half a heart = 4 cal
Beef, flank 0.4oz = 15.6 cal
OR
Chicken breast 0.4oz = 12 cal

Bedtime snack, dry (0.2oz, down from 0.3oz)
Acana Grasslands = 22.8 cal

Total cal approx = 161-164 cal/day

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
When I took weight off of my feline fatties, I didn't count calories. I just kept a chart of their weights. I weighed them every two weeks (still do), and adjusted food portions, as necessary, to achieve between .2-.4 lb weight loss every 2 weeks.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laurie. I was a bit lost and I guess I went overboard in my calculations.

I weighed Miu last night and to my surprise I found she's about 7.5lbs. I thought she was heavier! What else surprised me is that Rocky the dog some lost weight, so now both of them are the same weight! I knew he was a bit lighter but never thought he'd be the same as Miu.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.