Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Mom got a new audio CD right before Christmas and finally sat down to listen to some of it a couple days back. NOthing played. At first she thought something was wrong with the CD player but she tried a couple other CDs and they both played fine.

Then she brought the CD over to our house. I played it on my clock radio CD player just fine and it also played in our DVD player. So then she goes back home, decides to try it again and still got nothing, PLUS, she tried a few other CDs, some that worked and some that didn't. Of the other CDs that she tried to play on her player, they were all a few years old and played just fine up to a few weeks ago. The CD player that she has is probably 10 years old.

I was baffled by this situation and didn't know what to tell her. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Could be the laser or its driver circuitry is failing, if the cleaning kit didn't fix it. Did you try cleaning the CD super-well, too?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was a brand-new CD that was giving her problems so I doubt she did. I'm wondering if the laser is just having trouble reading anymore; sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Here's another dumb question...

With technology advancing as fast as it does, is it possible that with her CD player being approximately 10 years old that it does not have capability to read the way the newer CDs are recorded and printed out?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
With technology advancing as fast as it does, is it possible that with her CD player being approximately 10 years old that it does not have capability to read the way the newer CDs are recorded and printed out?
Yes, it is possible, but I think commercial CDs can play on any machine. Older machines could not read the newer Re-Writable CDs that people could burn at home. We had to update (replace) our DVD/CD player so it could read burned CDs. ($40 for the DVD/CD unit)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts