Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two male tabbies, neutered, two years old. They are littermates, the best of friends, until a weird thing happened today.

One of them managed to get his head stuck in the handles of a plastic bag that was on the floor, and got totally spooked. He ran around the house 100 MPH, in a panic.
I was able to catch him and release him from the bag..he had peed while running, so he got pee in the bag and all over himself.

He has been spooked ever since..but the weird thing is, he is taking it out on the other cat!!! He is growling and hissing at him, and the other cat had nothing to do the bag issue!!

He won't let the other cat near him..they are in a stare-down, growling and hissing.

Is this temporary?!?!?!? this is awful!! I hate to see my cats upset for any reason. :(

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Oh poor baby...he must be pretty traumatized. I would separate them at least overnight. Put the guy who had the bad experience in an extra bedroom or bathroom with a bed, some toys, food and a litter box, lights on low and leave him there till morning. Hopefully this will calm him down and he'll be a new kitty in the morning.

In the meantime, make sure to clean up all the spots that he spread pee on with Nature's Miracle or some other enzymatic type cleaner.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
That's sad! :( I think he's like us; when he's been traumatized and in a bad mood, he takes it out on his sibling! I'm sure you have wiped him off by now. I agree with Stephie. Give him a quiet place to rest and forget his bad experience, and I think he'll be all right.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out for a while..just came home..there were clumps of fur in one area of the bedroom..I think they went at it while I was gone!! Now the cats are hissing at ME..oh lordy, I hope this is temporary. I didn't know cats could get this traumatized over a BAG!!!

I will separate them tonight..I am familiar with redirected aggression, I thought that only happened when cats saw a strange cat outside or something..I will google it again and read more about it.

I hope by tomorrow they will be back to their happy selves again. :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim, excellent article, thank you so much for putting the link here.

I wonder if my cat is now going to freak out everytime he sees a plastic bag?!?!?!!

The cat that freaked out has been under the bed all day, didn't even come out to eat. The other one has been trying to make friends with him, he has no idea why the other cat is hissing and growling at him!!!

I sure hope things get back to normal around here!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
nancyLA said:
I wonder if my cat is now going to freak out everytime he sees a plastic bag?!?!?!!
It's possible he could be afraid of plastic bags for a time. An old lady brought me The DustBunny as a kitten of 5 or 6 weeks old. She was carrying her in a Wal-Mart bag, she came into my store and said, "I don't want this kitten. I want to drop her off here." The DustBunny was terrified and crying, it just about broke my heart and of course I said to myself "She's NOT walking out of here with that kitten!"

Dusty ran and hid from the rustling sound of a plastic bag for months after that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update: Thank GOD, things are back to normal!! In fact, right now, the two cats are curled up together. It took about a day and a half for the spooked cat to calm down..that was so weird, he literally TURNED on his brother, it was awful to watch!!

All is well again in the cat world here...whew!!!

Thank you for everyone's input!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Glad things are back to normal. Expect this to happen from time to time in a multicat household.

·
Registered
385 Posts
OMG!! same exact thing happened to Winston!!
He was actually at a friends house b/c we were away on vacation.
He did the same thing and had even peed all over himself. They said it was the funniest thing they've ever seen.
Winston was perfectly ok though...even when getting a bath to wash off the pee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts