Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cats takes her food out of the bowl and drops it on the floor, and eats it from there. Is this normal? It makes me mad.

·
Registered
237 Posts
one of my two cats does that too... after a while i kinda just got used to it and just sweep up after her constantly. i notice that it's less likely to happen with shallower bowls, so you might want to try that. but she still does it anyways -- i think she thinks it's like a treat. :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
When I got my first cat, he didn't do that - but when we got Pfeffa, SHE would paw single pieces of dry food out of her bowl to eat them, and then he must have seen her do this, and thought, "hey, what a great idea!" and then he started doing it too :roll:

It does get rather messy - they'd leave crummies all around the bowl. A shallow lipped tray placed under the bowl can help.

·
Registered
366 Posts
In an old thread, Jeanie said this about the scratching around food bowl behavior: "Cats scratch around food for two reasons, one to hide it for later, and two, to keep predators from knowing where they are."

Maybe she feels she need to scratch especially long because she knows she spreading her food's scent all over the place.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Taking food out of the bowl and dropping it on the floor to eat is perfectly natural. Mine do that sometimes, especially with some of the canned food that have whole meat/fish pieces in it.

I have a designated food area for them to do this, and an easily washable rug. You may want to place a plastic mat under the food so you can wipe it after she's done.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Twinkie-With dry food, he puts alot in his mouth, lets alot fall out to the ground and won't eat those he dropped. With wet food, I put old newspapers under the wet food bowl b/c he drops food onto ground and eats it.

Sugar-Neatly eats food out of bowl without dropping it. She is the one who paws the wet food bowl after eating and sometimes she ends up putting the newspaper on top of the bowl :!:

·
Registered
327 Posts
my cat Corey sometimes does that too..**** grab the food and just put on the floor then eat it.usually **** eat from his bowl but he does do that occassionally...i just clean after him...as long as he's happy doesnt bother me :) h

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of my friends and I discussed this earlier this morning, as one of her cats does the same thing; taking a mouthful from the bowl and dropping it beside it to eat it. She said its a behaviour her cat took on as a kitten, taking a mouthful aside to eat it in peace and quiet while the others were busy eating from the bowl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts