Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three litter boxes. Two hooded and one that's not. I have never really had any litter box issues except for the time my Persian was having bladder issues. But lately............I find this really weird, my Persian Bocelli sits in front of one of my hooded boxes right after each meal, ( 3 times a day ) and just stares into it. This can go on from 30 minutes to an hour. I've seen him start to go in it and then back himself out and just stare and stare and stare into it. To get him to use it I have to pull the lid back and pretend to play with the litter with my finger. Then he goes in and uses it and then goes about his day until the next meal is finished.
I've considered all the obvious things. I keep a clean litter box. I've tried both ways: completely clean and then leaving some stuff left in it for familiar scent. Also this isn't a hood verses non hood issue seeing as I have both.
And thankfully so far, everything is still making it into the litter box. I'm just wondering what the issue is. It's like he's debating the whole situation each time. Also, as far as I can tell, there are no health issues. He does use it when I mess with the litter in front of him and he has no problem with the the other two boxes. But this is the box he is choosing to to sit. In front of and stare. ( sometimes his whole head is inside while his body is not ). Very strange.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
979 Posts
How old is he? The only thing I could think of (and it's a stretch) is that maybe his eyesight isn't so great and he's trying to figure out if it's the right place to go? Making some noise around it might reassure him that it's the right box and let him to his thing.

But I know nothing about blind kitties or how they approach things so I dunno.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's only 9 months old. He bats his toys around the kitchen and I've never felt like he was seeing poorly. This morning I did find a tiny little nat flying around and I was wondering if this ants been hanging around in there.
It's really odd behavior that started about three days ago and continues after each meal.
And as I stated earlier, he has two other litterboxes to choose from but doesn't do it to them. I'm just baffled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts