Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate has a 3 month old kitten. It has peed on my bed twice for no apparent reason. I have a rather old kitty myself who uses a litterbox without issue. The kitten is banned from my bedroom for now until we're confident she won't do it again. She was peeing in the corners of rooms but that has stopped now too as far as we know. She uses the litterboxes when we're not home without any issue (that we know of). However, when we're home, she will walk over to one of the spots where she peed before and meow repeatedly. We have to walk to the litterbox and call her name. She will run there and use the litterbox and go back to regularly scheduled programming. I've never seen a cat that wants to be walked to the litterbox before. Ideally, she would just go to the litterbox on her own. Any ideas on why she would be doing this?

She has been to the vet a couple times in the past month and everything seems to be good health-wise.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Maybe she just wants more attention......lots of pets, cheek and chin rubs, and to play. It's likely a phase that she's going tho right now, and the fact that she uses the literbox when you're not at home is good....I wouldn't worry about it. Give her more attention, especially when she's not asking you to come to her litterbox.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
First thing you need to do is cleanup the spots she's peed in (with an enzyme-based cleaner like Nature's Miracle that will actually destroy the urine). If there are spots she repeatedly pees on, she'll just continue to do so if she smells urine there (and even if you can't smell it anymore, she can!). There's a sticky thread on how to clean cat urine. It does take some time, but it does work. So I'd start there.

Have you been around other animals when she pees outside of the litter box? I've had cats who are very territorial (of me) who will get stressed if I've been around other animals. If not, I agree with the above post. Try to dedicate some one-on-one playtime with her (either with you or your roomate) to see if that improves things. A 3 month old needs a lot of attention and play time!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pee spots have been properly cleaned with Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer or whatever it's called. She's not actually peeing in the floor anymore. She just won't pee when she's around us if we don't walk her to the litterbox. We're gone to work 9-10 hours a day but when we're home, she gets lots and lots of attention.

I can't recall us being around other animals (besides my cat) though.

It's not really a problem. I just thought it was weird that she wants to be walked to the potty spot like a dog, lol.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Maybe something happened that scared your kitten at some point while she was using a litter box...
And you represent security and safety, so she feels confident enough to use it when you're there...to protect her!! ;):p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts