Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently found that Milky likes to scratch/claw around the area near his bowl after he eats. He also sometimes goes near the bowl and scratches/claws the floor but doesn't eat. It's the only place I've seen him doing it so far. Is there any reason why he does this?

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
He's covering his leftover food to hide the scent from other predators/scavengers. At least, that is what his instinct is telling him to do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's so weird though becuase we've had him for 6 months now and he's only just started doing this! I wonder why he suddenly felt the urge to bury his leftover food... and who from?!?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's so weird though becuase we've had him for 6 months now and he's only just started doing this! I wonder why he suddenly felt the urge to bury his leftover food... and who from?!?!
Has there been more activity in your home recently? From my experience, when a cat who's never done that before randomly starts doing it, it could be a reaction to stress and anxiety.

Trying to bury his food is normal kitty instinct, but if possible, I'd suggest feeding him somewhere more quiet and see if he still does it. Pretending to bury his food obviously won't harm anything, but I think it's worth a shot to see if he's doing it as a reaction to stress since you say he's never done it before. :]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has there been more activity in your home recently? From my experience, when a cat who's never done that before randomly starts doing it, it could be a reaction to stress and anxiety.

Trying to bury his food is normal kitty instinct, but if possible, I'd suggest feeding him somewhere more quiet and see if he still does it. Pretending to bury his food obviously won't harm anything, but I think it's worth a shot to see if he's doing it as a reaction to stress since you say he's never done it before. :]
It's always just my husband and I, and we live in a small apartment so it's usually very quiet at home. I'll try feeding him in another spot tonight and see if he's still scratching the floor.

The only difference we've noticed in him lately is that he's becoming more affectionate to us, which is a good sign. He can now sit or lie beside us for hours and he enjoys squishing himself on the sofa into any gap between our legs and sleeping there in all sorts of strange positions!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our cat does this too. I thought it was a sign that she didn't like what was on offer. She'd take a bit from the bowl, turn up her nose at it then go on the elaborate ground scratching routine, long scratches, always with the left paw (she must be a south paw). She does the same thing at toilet time - always scratching the floor near her cat litter, never the litter itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts