Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.. I seem to have a problem.. I am hand reering baby kittens who are three weeks old..I have two.. Will post pics in morning!. I took one to the vet this morning because he seems to have a skin problem. He has been losing his fur and has dry scaly skin with small black spots(very small). The vet doesn't know what this is and says if it gets worse to bring him back in while she does research to figure it out.. THey did the test under black light to make sure it wasn't ringworms... He is very healthy other wise she said . He eats alot but is losing his fur.. I am really worried.. I love these little kitties... He also has very thick skin for a kitten this worried her too.. I would love any help with this problem so he can get better :cry: He does have roundworms so maybe this is causing the problem?? she wasnt' sure... but I started to deworm them yesterday so maybe that will help.. but the other one has worms to (from the mother I was told) and it isnt' affecting him like this so I don't know :?:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Oh poor baby..does he seem to be in any pain, itchy? Is the skin thicker in an uniform manner or only in some places?
I wonder if he is suffering some sort of mutations and his skin is preparing for a life with no fur...or it might be just worms.
If your vet cannot figure this one out it might be a good idea to take him to the vet school or another expert.
If one of the mods will move this in Health and Nutrition there might be a higher chance for Dr. Jean to see your post and give you her opinion
Best of luck and hug the little ones for me!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't really seem to notice... I dont' think.. he isn't scratching or anything... The vet said it was just like the way elephant skin is.. Just thick... I notice his sides are really rolly. Oh well... It's ok I will still love him if he's "furless" .. I was also thinking that maybe it was the shampoo I used on him the other day... It's called aloe and oatmeal soapless shampoo made by VET. My vet said they probably should just be washed with water... and it could have been to much for their skin.. not sure... I will keep checking around though.... :?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Hi Melissa, I'm not sure what the problem might be. I am going to move this thread to Health and Nutrition. It was perfectly fine here, but I am hoping Dr. Jean might see it if I moved it there.
You mentioned taking some photos. That would be great help for identifying the problem. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ok I was talking to my vet again today and they might have figured part of it out.. They believe he is a scotish fold kitten with the mutation the can have . They mutation is the abnormaly thick skin which sometimes can cause a gene to be left out and makes the skin really dry and hair folicules to dry up and hair to fall out.. They are just taking a stab in the dark about it they said.. They dont' really know too much about it... The one with the problem is the Orange one. The pic is dark but you can definitly see the fur lose.. Any more help would be appreciated :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts