Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any big plans for the Inauguration? :D

I got the go-ahead from work to take my lunch at ceremony time, so I can watch it on my computer. Happy Birthday to me!

What are you all going to be doing?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heidi n Q said:
Ignoring it, just as I have every other innaugeration.
Y'know, I always ignored it, too. But this year, it's the first year I've been able to vote where my candidate has won. I think we're at an important point in this country's history, and I'm pretty excited. :) I imagine the Bush supporters felt the same the past two elections.

It'll be party time at my place, that's for sure!

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
aphrodeia said:
I imagine the Bush supporters felt the same the past two elections.
No. Well, at least this one didn't feel a need to get excited. I began voting in 1984 when I turned 18 on Election Day, and I've voted in a total of 7 Presidential Elections. My vote either counted towards the win, or it didn't. I voted and that was enough for me. I really didn't see anything to get excited about.
I do understand why other people are getting excited this year, though. Me, I just want to see the President do a good job and then maybe I'll get excited. I'm not going to get excited "just because" a certain person gets elected, I need a reason; Show me what you got! Deliver! Lead us well! ...those are things I can get excited about.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Heidi I completely agree with you. The school system I work for has demanded that we show the full ceremony from 11:30-1pm. Previous ceremonies have not been demanded to be shown, infact if I remember correctly it was advised that we continue with our studies and the students could watch it on tv when they got home, on the news and repeats. Hopefully in the future no matter who the president is they will demand that we show the ceremony.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a little teary-eyed reading this. :)

Foster teen finds way to make it to Obama's inauguration

Barack Obama isn't Cierra Light's father, but she feels as if he is.

He has given her advice. He has encouraged her to pursue her dreams. He has inspired her to do things that others thought she couldn't.

The 17-year-old foster child has never even met the president-elect, but he has changed her life.

Motivated by the grass-roots fundraising that characterized Obama's early bid for the White House, Light embarked on her own campaign for Washington, D.C. She sold crafts she had made, wrote letters to potential donors and did odd jobs to raise the $1,000 she needed to get there.
More at the link.

An inspiring young lady!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Wonderful story :D You go, girl!! I bet the trip will be a life-changing experience for her.

I'll watch what I can since I have a TV in my classroom. I would like to show the ceremony to my 5th graders. I'm not sure my 3rd grade boys would sit still for it :lol: Many of my students have been in the US for a year or less, so I think it would be really cool for them to see, even though they won't understand much of what's being said.

Maybe I'll invite the students who want to watch to eat lunch in my classroom :D

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Huge said:
Whereas for those stuck with Gordon the Gopher, we have to get excited about someone else's leader :D
I'm not remotely excited. He isn't my president. And, in any case, I agree with Heidi ... nothing to get excited about until he actually starts delivering on his promises. Personally, I'm rather worried that people will expect things to change almost immediately ... but it will take several years I'm sure before any real change in the USA will be noticeable.

However, don't get me wrong ... I can certainly see why tomorrow is exciting for Americans :D.

I'll certainly be excited when Brown the clown is booted out over here.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
melysion said:
Huge said:
Whereas for those stuck with Gordon the Gopher, we have to get excited about someone else's leader :D
I'm not remotely excited. He isn't my president. And, in any case, I agree with Heidi ... nothing to get excited about until he actually starts delivering on his promises. Personally, I'm rather worried that people will expect things to change almost immediately ... but it will take several years I'm sure before any real change in the USA will be noticeable.
Allie, my sentiments are with both you and Heidi. We shall have to wait and see how he does. It was the same way when Reagan took office in 1980. There was no real turnaround until 1983 to 1984. Even Obama himself said it will take time.

I did hear an interesting bit on the radio en route to work. Allie, it is commonplace here in the USA to give a report on a president's first 100 days in office. Why, I have no idea. But on the radio it was said, either by an Obama spokesman or somebody else that, if Obama is already being judged after 100 days, then he has failed. I just hope the American people are not so hoodwinked that they honestly believe that Obama will fix things and we will be in economic prosperity by 2010. I have seen one major recovery take place and I am willing to give it time for this one to work.

A friend's mother, who is a high school teacher, is attending the inauguration! She was chosen to be one of the chaperones for the trip.

One last thing, and this was brought up from a radio caller, is what will the "carbon footprint" be for this mega-celebratory inaugural ceremony?

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I don't know about the carbon footprint, but I have seen a youtube movement to make it trash free. They are asking that if you go take an empty bag with you so that you can bring any trash home with you instead of leaving it behind.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Considering the mess this country and the world are in, Obama will need time. He doesn't have a genie in a bottle. I hope he will say, "Let us begin," and then do so. We would be so grateful to have a president listen to the voices of the people.

I understand he has been studying FDR's polices. There are many similarities the two men had to face upon entering the office.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, I believe he was the president who had to deal with the Great Depression. Deal.. Haha, inside joke, New Deal, get it?

Eh, Obama (and the entire nation) has a lot of work to do. But I have hope, and faith. Yes, we can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts