Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to take Xander to the vet for his yearly check up today, but he FREAKED OUT BIG TIME when I put him in the carrier and then in the car. He was making that terrible moaning yowl sound that scares me. And after Daisy ripped her claws out and scraped her face up last year in the same circumstances....I just couldn't do it. I called the vet to cancel, and will reschedule after I figure some sedative dosage for him. I don't want a repeat of the Daisy fiasco from last year...she was in shock, foaming at the mouth, self-destructive, vomiting, she lost control of her bowels...and I just couldn't take that with Xander.

So anyway... I just wanted some pity! My vet is an hour away. If it were closer, I wouldn't worry so much. You know, I would pay triple for a vet who would do house calls. :(

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about Xander. I can't blame you for not wanting to go through that again.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Is it the vet carrier that they freak out about? We take ours on harnesses and leashes because they freak out in the carrier, too - not as bad as yours, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Aww. Poor Xander. I hope he's calmed down some.

AND

Poor Kristi. We know you were only trying to take good care of him even if HE doesn't know it. :( Sometimes it's hard not being able to explain things to the cats.

~Heather

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was fine and very happy and purring once I brought him back inside. :)

I think I may try getting him desensitized to the car slowly. I may take him out just for a few minutes today, and bring his favorite treat (some of Willow's canned Wellness dog food! :lol: ) and his favorite toy. I think I may try to work him up to being ok with the car and just put off his appointment for a few weeks and see if he gets any better.

I did let him out of the carrier, and he was still freaked out and really upset just being in the car at all. I would consider a harness if I could get one to fit a 3-legged cat... :roll: :lol: Maybe one of those little shirt-kind like they make for Yorkies would work...or I could custom make one for him...

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts