Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been slowly working on getting Vala used to a collar a few months ago. She didn't really like it, so we were going slow. A few minutes a day with it on, lots of treats and praise. And then I kind of...forgot. Our cats when I was growing up never wore collars, so it's not something I'm used to, and I had my own medical drama for awhile that just kind of took over my brain.

But I figured it was time to get back on the horse, so to speak. It had been so long I expected I was basically going to have to start all over again. So imagine my surprise when I put it on her today and...nothing. She couldn't care less. I was going to take it off after a few minutes but she didn't even seem to notice it so I just left it. She's been wearing it all day now, no problems whatsoever!

Of course, it's just the collar right now. I'm sure adding the tags in will be more problematic, as she'll probably want to play with them.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My cats are indoor cats only and I've decided after reading a horror story about cats with collars not to put them on mine..

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Glad Vala is getting used to the collar! I agree that it's probably because she's a little older. Alice is the youngest of mine, and she still tries to bite hers off sometimes, while the older girls just ignore theirs. If you're worried about the tags causing too much of a problem, you could always get her a second collar...my girls wear their breakaways in the house (mainly so I can find them with the sound of the bells and tell who's doing what when I'm out of the room), and they have real collars with tags on that they wear to the vet or pet stores.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think the first time they wear a collar it's a big shock, but after that, they just don't notice it...for us sorta like wearing certain jewelry like a big chunky ring or for some people wearing those thong sandals. The first few times you wear them, you are so aware they are there and they are mildly irritating, and after a while, you just don't even notice them anymore.

I bought my cats small Red Dingo tags and they all are microchipped as an added safety measure. Their name is on the tag, my cell phone #, and their microchip number to avoid the need for big 'ole clunky multiple tags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts