Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after having Monkeys with her pancreatitis, I decided to adjust all of my cat's diets to something grain free. When I went to my LPS to buy Wellness brand cat food, I wasn't able to find their 'core' version of the food. I went ahead and bought their Indoor Health formula, which states there are no meat by products, corn, wheat, or soy, right on the front of the bag. Now, my pancreatic kitty is getting soft food (wellness again ) twice a day, and all of them have the dry indoor to munch on during the day. My question is, considering the quality of Wellness brand cat foods as it is, should I try and transition them up to the 'core' version from here? Or do you think what I am giving them is sufficient? I am planning on buying a pretty large supply of the canned this weekend, and would like to start offering the whole crew (4 of them) soft food at their 'dinner and 4th meal' times, and give them the dry to snack on during the day while I'm at work. I was only wondering if this is a good transition for them? My feeding schedule is as follows. Morning 9am approx, dry food bowls are filled. 6pm, more dry food. 8pm, Monkeys gets her pill and a 1/4 c of wellness canned. 11pm all cats get dry again, Monkeys gets another 1/4c of wellness wet. Ideally I want to feed them all wet for their 6pm and 11pm feedings. Dry out during the day while I'm working.

Oh yes, and apologies in advance if I rambled on a bit, I took a sleep aid about an hour ago.. and it's really starting to kick in.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Core is a significantly better food than Indoor Health...higher protein, higher fat, lower carbs and grain free. That said, it's also higher calorie and free feeding it (or really any dry food) could very well lead to weight issues.

You don't say which size can you're giving a quarter of....hopefully it's a 5.5 oz. A half of a 5.5 oz per day is about half of a cats food consumption, if you could increase that it would be good.

You really don't need to leave food out during the day, cats naturally eat a few small meals per day...not have food to graze on all day. I do 3 meals, breakfast (wet), dinner (wet) and bedtime snack (dry)...around 9, 7 and midnight.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you are looking for a grain-free food, this is not the one to choose. Rice, Ground Barley and Ground Rice are in the top five ingredients and the food contains between 31-35.5% carbohydrates.

We forgive you for rambling :D

·
Banned
115 Posts
Instincts by natures variety is good mine love chicken/turkey and duck and rabbit types.

By nature- haven't tried it is supposed to be good.

Addictions is supposed to be good.

Good on you for switching to canned only. Wellness was recalled a few months back personally I wont feed that brand again.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I did too- the price was great and they loved it then the pet store upped the price of it ....... and they started puking, floor bending (looking at the floor and bending) and losing weight. I did research and found they messed up in one of the vitamens, prolonged lack of it can lead to death.

Even after they fixed the food there's been issues with zinic. so i figure best to not feed it anymore.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so I should get them off the wellness. the LPS also stocks Innova, Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, and Avo'Derm. I'm wondering which of these are best as their dry food as well as what is best for their wet. I am heading to the LPS later on today to get the wet, and do the switch there. I'll probably try and finish off more of the dry before adding and mixing the new in, so I have some time there. Oh yes, and as far as ages goes on my 4 guys, I have them ranging from 1 year to 12 years. In case that makes a difference in which food to pick.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Leopalorn was on Royal chann when I got him. bad food I say.

Honestly cant you see online if there better foods then those, I'd say blue is the best out of the brands listed though it does have grain.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I found a smaller LPS today that also carried the EVO 95% brand, as well as all types of blue buffalo, Wellness, Innova, and another brand I hadn't heard much about. 'Triumph' I didn't buy any of that mostly because I don't know anything about it. I picked up some Evo and Innova, I'll be going back for the Wellness tomorrow, as I didn't realize that their prices were better than the local Petsmart on the Wellness. (I like to buy the bigger cans with 4 cats, rather than the 5.5 oz and petsmart only carries the smaller)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, WHY don't many brands package in the 12.5 oz cans? 4 cats and two feedings a day, that's nearly a whole can correct? Or do I have a distorted view on how much to feed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
An adult cat on average can eat one 5.5oz can if fed no dry food- give or take to put them at a healthy weight.

My cat was diagnosed with Pancreatitis while on Wellness dry (indoor) and Wellness grain free canned. I took her off the dry and she's improved a million times over. If you can get them all on wet then it's beyond worth it for their health.

Along with wet food, you don't need to stick to just one brand. I buy Merrick's BG, Wellness, Newman's Own, Natural Balance, and a few other brands. The more variety the happier my pickybutt is. She also gets raw once a day.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Also, WHY don't many brands package in the 12.5 oz cans? 4 cats and two feedings a day, that's nearly a whole can correct? Or do I have a distorted view on how much to feed?

1. The percentage of people with 3 or more cats is very small.
  2. The number of those people feeding a significant volume of wet is even smaller.
  3. Many cats won't eat refrigerated food, even if warmed or allowed to come to room temp.
So there isn't a huge market for it.

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of food, even for a kitten. How much does he weigh??

·
Registered
394 Posts
I haven't had him weighed since the last time we were at the vet for his neutering in January, but he's a really big boy. He weigh 7.5 pounds at 5 1/2 months, so I would guess he weighs around 12-14 pounds, quite possibly more. I call him my gentle giant :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
He's going to the vet in July or August for his 1 year check up, he was born on August 22nd 2010 :) So, i will let you guys know how much he weighs after his vet visit :) He's very lean though, and he's also incredible active.

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
That sounds HUGE to me, but probably because my girls are all pretty small - they range from 7 lbs. (Gigi) to 9.5 lbs. (Cleo).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts