Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently ordered and received a case of 24 cans of Wellness Chicken flavored cat food from Amazon.com. The packaging was flimsy, just plastic over the entire case with carboard on the bottom. Over half the cans were either dented, bulging, on the sides or on the top. Whenever I ordered cases of Weruva cat food, the boxes that the food came in was always in an enclosed sturdy cardboard box and none of the cans were dented.

Also, I noticed that the case of Wellness canned food was about $10 more than Weruva's case of food on Amazon. I would think that Wellness or Amazon should certainly package their cases of food a lot better than a piece of flimsy plastic on top of the cans for so much money. I then contacted Amazon customer service, explained the situation which they promptly responded and apologized. They offered to either send me a replacement or a refund. I chose the latter. They are issuing me a full credit and advised that I dispose of the cans as I see fit. That made me feel somewhat better.

My question is, some of the cans I obviously have to throw out because they are bulging on top and you can see the can has been punctured open a little. What about the cans that are just dented on the sides or on the top, with no buldge. Are those safe or should I throw those out too?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My question is, some of the cans I obviously have to throw out because they are bulging on top and you can see the can has been punctured open a little. What about the cans that are just dented on the sides or on the top, with no buldge. Are those safe or should I throw those out too?
Dented cans (without bulge or puncture) are safe. My mom used to shop at this Amish market that would sell a banana box full of dented cans of tomato products for 5 bucks. Any of the cans that were still sealed and not bulging were just as good as an undented can, just not as pretty and sometimes harder to open.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Weruva uses heavier cans that are more difficult to dent, those cans are the industry standard in Thailand where the food is manufactured. I suspect the boxes are also necessary since the food must travel by ship to get here. Foods manufactured in the US or Canada (like Wellness) do not required the same level of protection since the transportation is not as arduous. Packaging cans in a cardboard flat shrink wrapped in plastic is the industry standard for those foods. It's up to Amazon to package it in a way that will ensure it remains undamaged on it's way to you.

If the seal on the can isn't damaged then it's fine to use. You'll know as soon as you open it anyway...it will stink and/or your cats will refuse to eat it. I received some damaged cans from Petfooddirect. I thought a few of the ones with less damage would be OK...When I opened one of them I didn't immediately notice that it was bad but my crew turned up their noses...when I gave it a closer sniff I could tell it was bad.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I understand the packaging situation a little better now. I just wish Weruva made more chicken or turkey flavored food. Currently, my cats will only eat Wellness Chicken and Turkey. Is there any online site that sells cases of Wellness cans in better packaging? Or do all the sites sell it the way Amazon does?

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
My experience with petfooddirect was very inconsistent. What about finding a local store rather than ordering online?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that is what I will have to do since it is cheaper to buy a case of Wellness from my local discount pet store. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news, I had e-mailed Amazon informing them about the damaged Wellness cans. Amazon.com gave me a full refund me for the entire case of Wellness chicken flavor (even though I told them that only half the cans were damaged) and then a few days later I receieved a case of Wellness turkey flavored cans (which I had ordered before receiving the damaged chicken flavor case) which was sent in an enclosed box with no damaged cans! The only thing is, I realized that Amazon.com charges more than my local pet store which I had not done the math until after I placed the order and was already in the shipping phase so I couldn't cancel it. Oh well, I guess I am done with Amazon.com for Wellness cat food.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't order cat food online. Mostly it's the cost... people say that online places are cheap or economical... HA! Besides shipping costs (sometimes free, IF you spend a lot of money), the food itself is about twice what I pay at the local grocery store.
9 Lives costs are before shipping and taxes:
Winco (local store) = $0.36/can
PetFoodDirect = $0.65/can
PetFlow = $0.61/can
Petco = $0.43/can (online "club" price)
Petsmart = ? (they don't seem to have it) - I used to get Authority, but even that "generic" stuff has gone up to $0.74!

And yes, I realize 9 Lives probably isn't the best stuff. But it's what I can afford, and kitties only get 2.5 oz of it a day anyway (half a can each), just for a little treat - and slightly more moisture for Paizly's UTI issues.
I do try to get the flavors with the best ingredients first...meat/meat-stuff in at least the first 5.
I go to Winco every couple weeks for my own groceries anyway, so it's not an "out of the way" thing. Convenient, cheap, and basically hassle free!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vivid Dawn: Thanks for the cost analysis of the online cat food. I will certainly remember that. In my case, I found the Weruva to be cheaper online than my pet store. However, Wellness was more expensive on Amazon.com than my pet store plus the reviews for that product mentioned that a lot of cans come dented. Therefore, I won't be ordering that brand online anymore.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah I considered going the online route, but with the particular foods I buy (Wellness, Merrick, and Blue Buffalo) I find they're actually cheaper at PetCo.

Plus online they won't let me order anything less than a 24 pack of one flavor from most sites, which is...not ideal when I rotate flavors and brands daily. With only two cats I would be drowning in cat food for weeks. XD

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was lucky and found a good place that sells cat food near my house that's cheaper than Petsmart or Petco and sells grain free food. I go there all the time haha.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I was lucky and found a good place that sells cat food near my house that's cheaper than Petsmart or Petco and sells grain free food. I go there all the time haha.
I am envious! IMy local holistic pet food store (where I get my frozen raw at the moment) doesn't carry most of the canned varieties I feed my kitties. And the ones they do have are only 3 oz cans and more expensive. :[

·
Registered
131 Posts
It was completely by chance I found it. When I joined this forum I was interested in switching my cats to canned and after reseaching all the varieties I realized online they just mostly had the big packs which wouldn't work since I wanted to try variety. I googled it and found it, and it's like 5 minutes from my house, in a place I never would've thought to look. I got those awesome litter scoopers from there too. I think they have a refrigerated section also for raw, thinking of trying that in the future sometime.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have ordered Wellness from Amazon and have never had this problem. I order the larger 12 oz cans, and I have not ever order the chicken flavor. These factors may have made a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.