Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you bring your cat in for a basic physical/wellness check? Do you get a full panel done? (also how old is/are your cat/s because that makes a difference).

I know it's rec'd that senior kitties get checked every 6 months. How old is considered a "senior"?

Io had all of her work done when we got her in May, but the rescue didn't supply us with the full results (understandable considering how many cats they take care of and the deals that the vets cut them.) She was (probably) under a year then. We'll definitely take her into the vet next spring to get checked up and have some good baseline values (also I have a small suspicion about her maybe having asthma or some bronchial problems that I'd like looked at). After that, I dunno. Once a year? Once every two years? Only when there's a problem?

·
Registered
716 Posts
My vet insists on an exam every 6 months. I just took Banjo in and was rather dissapointed when the vet didnt even use a stethescope. He gave Banjo a quick once-over, tried to sell me dewormer, and the vet tech asked if I wanted to give him his rabies booster early. Oh, and then I was handed a science diet pamphlet. My vet didnt even ask what i was feeding him.

Needless to say, I am looking for a new vet. I think once a year exam is good.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Oh, and Banjo is only 1 yr old. This vet insists on an exam every 6 months no matter the age. Yet he has never suggested having bloodwork done. I have been to 3 different vets in my neighborhood that are all highly recommended and I am yet to find one that I am happy with.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tina is 8 years old. She goes to the vet once a year when it's time for rabies vaccine. They don't usually even charge for an office visit. I'm going to get a full blood workup next time I take her though out of curiosity. She's never been sick that I can recall thankfully.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Although Figaro is just about 6 months old now, we plan to have him in annually for an exam and blood panel. I will NOT be vaccinating him again after his next appointment AND neuter on Oct 2nd. I always encourage pet owners to do their research about the truth of over vaccinating. Studies have shown that a single vaccination after the age of 6 months has long-term protection and "boosters" are not only unnecessary but detrimental to their health. We will be doing annual Titers for Rabies; which at my vet is only about $40. Our county does not register cats, though I prefer to have a current Negative Titer on hand should he escape or be taken toa shelter; he will also be microchipped during his neuter. =)

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
I try to bring my girls in once a year, but I skipped this year. They're young and healthy, plus Cleo had bloodwork and a check-up before her dental a few months ago. But it's mostly because I have to find a new vet, so I'm dreading (and putting off) that lovely chore.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I'm sure vets would be more than happy if you came in every 6 months... cha-ching! They don't really do much when you have a young healthy cat. I would say once a year is fine. Blood work I'd frankly only do on an older cat, or one with problems, it's like 200+ dollars. I'd rather put that money away for when something potentially serious crops up. I don't get my blood taken every year so my cats sure don't either.

Blaze hasn't been to the vet in 16 years... he hasn't had a cause for concern and would probably have more health issues while under stress at the vets than the potential check up could ever find wrong with him. He pees all over his cage in transit and is terrified of new people, places and noises. He was a feel kitten. Having my aunt's cat die at the vets (heart attack - vet tried CPR, it was terrible) did nothing to convince me that bringing in a cat in is the best course of action when they're older, but I do understand it can be helpful in some situations. It's just not something I'm that interested in putting my cat through, if the tests came back with something bad, there probably isn't a lot to do anyway... as much a I love my cats, thousand dollar operations when they're elderly and the prognosis isn't that much more time with them aren't something I would follow through on, as crushing as the decision would be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My cat get his yearly physical with his shots. I usually hear once a year or every six months. I would never go longer than once a year. Not only is a physical as important for cats as it is for humans, but it also gives you a baseline to check from if something does go wrong. (ie blood tests) Plus, it helps you establish a relationship with a vet and a good relationship with your vet is important.

That said visits to the vet stress my cat to the core. Which is why we chose a mobile vet that will make housecalls. Believe me it is much less stress on my little guy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm with hoofmaiden on this, my new vet agrees that it isn't neccessary to vaccinate indoor cats over a year old, so after they are spayed/neutered, I don't take them in unless there is a problem. I don't hesitate to bring them in if I think something is wrong though, and with two dogs and three cats I'm usually there 2-3 times a year for something or other, not counting my fosters. I also keep them on preventatives for fleas, ear mites, and several types of worms.

Six months sounds crazy, my human kids only go once a year and my own doctor only wants to see me every 3 years unless I'm sick or something.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I go once a year for whatever the basic standard exam is, and all of the required/recommended shots. He is indoor only but is sometimes around cats that go outdoors, so I like to keep him fully vaxed.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I do rabies yearly and FVRCP every 3 years. I insist on the PureVax line of vaccines.

A lot of people say it's not required but my cat is known to bite strangers and she brings blood. Having been exposed to an unvaccinated cat and possibly rabies, I know how important it is to have documented vaccinations in the event of the cat attacking someone.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i plan to bring mine in once a year. I got pet insurance in case of an accident, and one of the requirements to remain covered is to have a yearly checkup.

My insurance does NOT require vaccinations, but will not cover anything that might have been prevented by a recommended vaccination should he get sick.

He will be going yearly. I haven't yet decided if he'll be getting yearly vaccinations. Rabies is required by law in my state so he'll be getting that likely yearly as I'll insist on PureVax.

for those of you running baseline labwork as a younger cat and then regularly as they start to get old, what's the average price of this lab work?

Once my kitten hits about 2 or 3, I'd like to do this. I'm curious if it's stupid to do it yearly - is this overkill? too expensive? too stressful?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Mine go in once a year for a general checkup, rabies if it's due, tooth lookie, and general squeeze all over.

MowMow had a blood test when he turned 8 so I had a baseline for as he ages. It was a cost of 180.00. My vet suggests blood tests once a year starting at age 8 and then twice a year starting at age 10.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If you're a Regular in my vets, and have at least some vaccines then you can have a free six monthly check if you want it but you don't have to go. This applies to dogs and cats.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My old vet sent reminders for yearly check-ups and reminders for various shots. I finally convinced that vet to stop giving vaccinations. I'm not sure about this one yet - haven't been going long enough.

In upstate NY, chem panel and CBC cost $120, T4 $100. In southwestern Virginia, "senior screen" (chemn, cbc, T4) = $76.

·
Banned
603 Posts
I have always taken my cats for their kitten shots/exams but after that they only go for a rabies vaccine every year. My vet only charges for the shot, no exam when I bring them in. Rabies one year shot, $8. Never have had a sick cat (knock on wood).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts