Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of planning Tina's diet out as I'm switching her to wellness indoor health. I'd like to replace dry food with wet food once a day for dinner.

Would anyone recommend one of these products and if so which and why? Other brand/product suggestions are welcome too.

Oh and while I'm starting a new topic, do you have a favorite online store that sells quality food? I usually use amazon but it isn't pet oriented so I'm open to alternatives. Sadly, there aren't any pet stores near here that I want to give my business to.

·
Registered
474 Posts
my kittens favorites were wellness core canned (the poultry one, haven't tried the fish one yet) and innova evo cat and kitten canned food. other grain free in our rotation is merrick and felidae grain-free. i tried natural balance LID and they didn't touch it. hoping to try merrick before grain at some point too...

they've suddenly become picky eaters (hoping this is temporary and a side effect of their recent vaccination) so now i can't figure out what they are in the mood for these days.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Littlesushi, when you try before grain, opt for the 96% chicken/quail, that seems to be the favorite for most people's cat's,including Rocky's :) I just read in my recent thread about how the quail alone is Merrick's old version, and the newer one which is the chicken/quail is a better formula and is more complete :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I really like the Wellness CORE canned food, Isis seems to take well to it. Just make sure your cat likes a pate style food instead of chunks or shredded food because the CORE canned is pate. I also like it because it doesn't really have much of an odor, and Isis eats it up, there isn't any left over!

I don't like the Wellness pouches because there seemed to be a lot of gravy in them and gravy usually=carbs, which is not conducive to a cat's diet.

Other brands that she really enjoys are Merrick Before Grain, Evo (she goes nuts for the Duck flavor, but it is quite expensive. She does like all flavors from Evo though).

I am sure others will chime in with their selections. I usually don't feed a lot of fish flavors to Isis. i am afraid of the mercury content and when I did try to feed her any of the flavors with fish, she wasn't all that interested in them.

I try to rotate brands/flavors so that she doesn't get bored of anything, and just in case companies change their recipes or suffer recalls, I want to make sure I'm not stuck in what to feed her.

Here are the websites for the food I mentioned:

Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products

Wellness Cat Canned Recipes

Merrick Pet Foods - Dry Dog Food

It will all depend on what your cat likes too. She may turn up her nose at what you put down.

Good luck and I hope you find something that your cat likes!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
After trying a lot of brands, all six of my cats ended up with
Natural Balance Canned Food as their favorite. It is a pate
style and even the two of my cats who have delicate stomachs
don't throw it up.

I use the online delivery service through PETFLOW. They are
always offering free delivery specials and have great customer
service. I switched from Amazon to Petflow earlier this year. My
nearest pet store for quality foods is a 45-minute drive one way
so online ordering just makes sense for me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Littlesushi, when you try before grain, opt for the 96% chicken/quail, that seems to be the favorite for most people's cat's,including Rocky's :) I just read in my recent thread about how the quail alone is Merrick's old version, and the newer one which is the chicken/quail is a better formula and is more complete :)

thanks for the advice, i will have to consider that :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Now I just have to find an online store that sells by the can/pouch so I don't buy tons of food she won't eat. Hehe.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like PetSmart sells a limited number of products by the can/pouch online. I'll keep looking and post more if I find them as I'm sure someone will eventually need to get a variety for taste testing.

Also, I called Wellness to ask for more vendors and they offered to send me coupons. Took maybe 5 minutes. You guys might want to call and get some too. :) 1-800-225-0904 is their number.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It looks like PetSmart sells a limited number of products by the can/pouch online. I'll keep looking and post more if I find them as I'm sure someone will eventually need to get a variety for taste testing.

Also, I called Wellness to ask for more vendors and they offered to send me coupons. Took maybe 5 minutes. You guys might want to call and get some too. :) 1-800-225-0904 is their number.
Yes, if you call that Wellness number once a month, they tend to send about $10 in coupons to you. I've done it twice and they have so far obliged.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Yes, if you call that Wellness number once a month, they tend to send about $10 in coupons to you. I've done it twice and they have so far obliged.
Thanks for sharing this info! I was just at Petco and their sale on Wellness ended last week (buy 6 5.5 oz cans, get 2 free). They are having another sale - 15% off 10 cans. The food is SO expensive - any discount/coupons are helpful.

I wish Wellness and other high-quality brands would sell their cases of food in a variety pack. My girls won't eat the same thing day in and day out. Maybe that means I will just need to order multiple cases of their favorites at once!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sharing this info! I was just at Petco and their sale on Wellness ended last week (buy 6 5.5 oz cans, get 2 free). They are having another sale - 15% off 10 cans. The food is SO expensive - any discount/coupons are helpful.

I wish Wellness and other high-quality brands would sell their cases of food in a variety pack. My girls won't eat the same thing day in and day out. Maybe that means I will just need to order multiple cases of their favorites at once!
I completely agree. I haven't found more than 1 online retailer that sells it individually either. A sample/variety pack would be great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I much prefer Wellness canned, and so does Niles. :) I don't like all the gravy in the pouches.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you are in the middle/east part of the US, then PetFoodDirect is a great place to order from.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cooper is not a picky eater and loves all the Wellness products. He is eating the canned core for dinner and had the pouch for breakfast and lunch. I really like the pouch because he loves the broth and licks it all up and I know he is getting some water from that. He also has had the regular canned pate and chunks. He eats it all happily.

I personally will not feed Evo since they were bought out by Purina last year. I used to feed Evo to my dogs before I went raw 4 years ago.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are right, I knew I should have double checked the name before posting. I'm still not buying it though, or any of their line. Not just Evo was bought.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Well, Natura was bought out. There are a LOT of discussions about this in the past month. I feed EVO and I'm not switching unless they show a change in the production, recipe, or staff. So far it's all stayed exactly the same and P&G claims it's going to remain as it is.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I had to get hamster food and I got a bag of Wellness Pure Delights Turkey and Salmon Jerky. My cat refuses to eat them. She'd rather have the 85 cent Friskies' treats. :sigh:

Oh, I got the Wellness coupons today. They are $5 off ANY Wellness purchase. The purchase must be at least $5.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am a big fan of Wellness Core, for my dog and cats.
My cats are not that crazy about the chicken/turkey one but they go wild for the fish one (blue label can). They literally lick their bowls clean with that stuff.

I also buy Sasha (the kits are too young still) many different flavors of Wellness that are grain free. I do this just to stimulate her as she is a light eater. The ones I will swap around are the Beef and Salmon, chicken and herring and the beef and chicken. Those flavors are all grain free. They aren't as healthy as the Core but they seem yummy (at least to her).
Her main diet is the Wellness core with the occasional can of something new.

If you sign up for their email newsletter then will send you coupons each month via email. I print mine up every month to help with the cost.

As to pet stores online... well I have several..like lots and lots. I will shop around and see who has it on sale. I also look at the shipping cost to see which would be cheaper. Last week Petco had a really good sale on Wellness and free shipping. I stocked up :p
Petsmart doesn't seem to ever carry Core. I know many people have used petfooddirect and I have a few times...depending on the sale. :wink
Have 3-4 internet stores bookmarked. That way you can quickly check pricing to see who has the better deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts