Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the leap and bought 3 cans of wellness and 2 cans of innova to help solve a diarrhea issue I'm having with one of my cats. If I'm successful then I guess I'll just have to figure out how this will fit into the budget......:fust. Anyway, when I opened the first can of beef, venison and lamb I noticed the coloring of the food was grey. Is this normal? It smelled fine from what I could tell and I gave it to my first cat and she didn't seem to mind, but then I started to worry so I opened another can of a different flavor and it was more of a light brown color.
Anyone know if this grey coloring for that particular flavor is normal?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've bought this flavour once and I do remember an odd colour about it. My cats absolutely hated it. I usually get the chicken and turkey, indoor or duck and turkey. Unfortunately the only store I can find that has the new flavours are very expensive. (2.50 a can. Yikes)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do yours eat this willingly? ( any of the flavors? ) I have one that licks it reluctantly, one that has filed a formal protest, ( but he could shed a little more weight anyway ), and the one that I really need to eat it because of loose stool issues, seems to really like it. So right now I'm buying it on a day by day basis and hoping they'll all come around to my way of thinking...........

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just tried Sienna on the Wellness chicken to see if she would eat it .. that way I can order it in large cans online. She seemed to like it just fine. I even fed it straight! (I usually mix about 3 foods together and make up enough food for 4 days).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turkey flavor got a big no from all three this morning but I'm not giving up. I know what they want from me and I'm pretty sure they know I'm weak........but I'm sticking with it. I'm going this weekend to pick up different kinds like merrick, innova as well as wellness and try a rotation of these. I know they hate it when I give straight pate but there's a significant price difference when you jump to mince or cubes. You get about half the size can for only 50cents less. So with three cats this is hard to manage. I'm thinking maybe a buy a few of those anyway and maybe just lightly cover the top of their pate with this......but again........they are way smarter than I.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Do yours eat this willingly? ( any of the flavors? ) I have one that licks it reluctantly, one that has filed a formal protest, ( but he could shed a little more weight anyway ), and the one that I really need to eat it because of loose stool issues, seems to really like it. So right now I'm buying it on a day by day basis and hoping they'll all come around to my way of thinking...........
The only wellness core flavour that outright hate is the beef one. They gulp up the rest of the flavours and even my dry addict cat will occasionally eat a bit of it(that almost never ever happens).

Chances are if they don't like it now they won't later. When my cats don't like something the more I try to get them to like it the more the out right refuse it(or they could be doing it to tick me off lol)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Turkey flavor got a big no from all three this morning but I'm not giving up. I know what they want from me and I'm pretty sure they know I'm weak........but I'm sticking with it. I'm going this weekend to pick up different kinds like merrick, innova as well as wellness and try a rotation of these. I know they hate it when I give straight pate but there's a significant price difference when you jump to mince or cubes. You get about half the size can for only 50cents less. So with three cats this is hard to manage. I'm thinking maybe a buy a few of those anyway and maybe just lightly cover the top of their pate with this......but again........they are way smarter than I.
Mine are funny too when it comes to different types. I mostly feed pate. The only shredded style they will eat is weruva. The chunks they sometimes eat but more often than not they eat up all the liquid then all that's left is dry spongy cubes that they won't touch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to wonder about the color of the beef as well, but eventually figured it was ok since all of the beef cans looked that way. Of all the flavors of wellness core, my kitties didn't like the beef as well as the others. i always mix more water into the food - it's so thick that my kitties won't eat it as well right out of the can. Plus they're getting more water intake that way which is always great! I've been trying the single protein merrick lately though because one of my kittys, who's never had allergy problems before, developed some eating the wellness and my other kitty who already has allergies is a little worse. Hoping to narrow down the problem soon.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so the minced chicken went over huge! This morning I had only a tiny can of it, so I sprinkled it over the pate and that kept them interested longer. One thing I've noticed, before they would just scarf down their food in like two minutes. Now it's a 45 minute process which includes a mutual game of "I'm done with mine, let me try yours!". I'm okay with that as long as everyone's eating and none of the food goes to waste.
Cheers, for small victories!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Haha my kittens want to rotate food too... I wonder why cats are like that. You can mix pumpkin into the food for your kitty with loose stools. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tried an animal probiotic as well as a human grade probiotic and neither was working to solve his loose stools. So I thought it was best if I went to an all grain free diet of more expensive foods to see what would happen. In two days of doing this, the diarrhea was gone!
I'm happy with the results and I feel really good about this......but I've got to figure out a budget for this. With three cats it's up there!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well I tried an animal probiotic as well as a human grade probiotic and neither was working to solve his loose stools. So I thought it was best if I went to an all grain free diet of more expensive foods to see what would happen. In two days of doing this, the diarrhea was gone!
I'm happy with the results and I feel really good about this......but I've got to figure out a budget for this. With three cats it's up there!
I am in the exact situation as you!! I have three cats as well and one has the same bowel issues yours have. Grain free wet was getting too expensive so I tried instincts dry. This was the only dry that made her poo dark and hard but she was still getting mucas/runny poo dripping down her leg and her bum stunk all the time(ew). So I tried grain free dry again and it instantly went away. Sigh, why does it have to be so expensive?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts