Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiance finally decided it was a good idea to get a second cat YAY. So I took a trip to the local animal shelter, where I saw TONS of kittens, and only a few older cats, almost all of them were clamoring for attention, one really was sweet but he was a long haired and his fur was already matted in places.

I checked petfinder and found some beautiful cats at an animal shelter about 45 minutes away so we took a trip there. It was a very small facility, about the size of my apartment (1300 sq ft) or smaller. We were shown to the cat area where they ONLY had kittens left, TONS of them, like maybe 30. There were flies everywhere, but we decided to look anyways. Most of the kittens looked to be 5 to 6 weeks old only, nd if you put your hand near them they would try and suck on your finger, poor babies! None really said take me home though, I know thats awful of us, we could have taken them out of that terrible place but they just seemed too...well young. We held some and were there about half an hour when I picked up an orange kitty who had been asleep, it cuddled up to me and then...I looked into its eyes and saw...fleas. Crawling all over this poor thing. I panicked (im allergic to flea bites, not sickly or anything just I get gigantic purple spots that are extremely itchy and painful about the size of a quarter that turn into nasty ugly scars)

We left, went home, and stripped at the front door, washed everything and took showers. Now I feel so guilty I didn't even do anything or say anything to the people there. Maybe they didnt know the kittens had fleas...

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Why not call both shelters and tell them what you have told us? The reason there were not many full grown cats is because, being harder to place, they are usually put down. Tell both shelters you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the facility.

Kittens who have been taken away from their mother that early really need love. They should have been kept with her for about 12 weeks. However, if you pick up some Advantage and ask the shelter to reserve that kitten, explain your allergy, and ask if they'll put a dose on "your" kitten, perhaps they'll cooperate. According to Dr. Jean, using it on one kitten will be helpful to the kittens around it. Fleas jump from one cat to another, and they will die if they bite the one kitten that has been treated.

Of course, you have to wait for any eggs laid to hatch and die before taking a kitten.

This is really upsetting! Shelters should set a good example of animal care. :(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Jeanne covered most of it -- I would totally agree that you should call the shelters back. Also, about the longhaired cat, mats can be remedied with a mere clip with a razor -- or in some cases, even just brushing. Please don't overlook a cat at a shelter who grabs your heart just because it's not looking gorgeous that day...this goes for anyone. With proper nutrition and love at home, cats who may look rough at first start looking healthy and beautiful in no time. It's what's on the inside that counts for cats, really.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I liked at the local shelter was in the "Hold" ward, im not sure if that means they arent ready to go up for adoption yet or if that means they are being held pending their adoption in progress. I called the shelter with the fleas and they said they knew about it but lack of funding means they dont treat any animals until they are going to be adopted to keep costs down.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
The irony of it all is that a home full of flies and fleas would probably be considered unsuitable for pets, and might warrant a warning from the SPCA! :!:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kitten adopted, see Meet My Kitty forum for pics :D Forgot to mention, the places I went were the Animal Control places. not the shelter or Humane Society. The local AC is very clean and nice and it is where I got my new bundle of fluff.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
You made a wonderful choice. That's an irresistable kitten! You'd better watch out for Mike! He's notorious for wanting to catnap....well, so am I, come to think of it! :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehehe back off he's mine!!! I'm dying for it to be Monday already, last night I had a nightmare that they forgot he was adopted and let someone else adopt him and take him home! Must be because everyone who sees him at the shelter wants him.

I LOVE to watch him run, he waddles rofl! His little butt goes side to side and up and down. He seems a bit plump though, he's almost always eating when I go see him in his cage. Animal Control deworms, defleas, and runs all the standard tests so im sure its not worms or anything, I think he might just be pudgy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts