Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, tonight, after his bath, we noticed waffles had an abscess on his shoulder. We're now waiting at the vets, waiting to have it drained. Outside of the abscess, he's been acting normal, eating, drinking, playing, etc. I'm worried, as anyone with a kitten that young would be, and gods I can hear him wailing from the back room, it's killing me.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Awww, here's hoping that Waffles is okay. Sending headbutts, purrs, and hugs from my kitties and me to you and Waffles. :patback

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're back home, and he did have a minor abscess, which they opened up and cleaned. He's on a7 day treatment of clavamox, along with a regimen of hot compresses every 8 hours. He's had his compress already since we got home, and a bottle, and is sleeping soundly, wrapped up in a purrito. We also had him tested for feline aids and feline leukemia, both came back negative. All his vitals were good too, I'm a happy and not stressed kitty mama again.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm wondering how long it will take for the lump to go down. They said that what was inside was 'encapsulated' I'm assuming that means hard (as the lump wasn't soft at all) The little incision to open it up is closed, pretty much looked healed up by the time we got home (we had to drive through some pretty crazy winds with Irene knocking on our door) We compressed it for 10 minutes this morning and gave him his breakfast, now he's fast asleep. There's no drainage whatsoever. I assume this is a good sign? The lump is still there though, and it was when they brought him back out to us last night as well.

I'm assuming the lump is just swelling? Since it's been drained and there is no wound seepage? It's also not hot, nor does it smell like infection. He seems fine with us petting him and he doesn't care about the hot compresses either. As a matter of fact he fell asleep for nearly half of it. At least I know he's not in pain, as he's too young for any medication to help. I suppose I should call my regular vet first thing Monday to see if they want to see him as well, and let them know we had him in and fel leuk tested etc.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
He must have had the abscess the whole time you've had him. They are tough to spot at first. So glad the little kit is OK. He's been through so much.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
He must have had the abscess the whole time you've had him. They are tough to spot at first. So glad the little kit is OK. He's been through so much.
Yeah it was strange, I bathed him yesterday afternoon, and found the bite, just two scabs right next to each other. One looked fine, while the other had a bit of puss around it. I gently used a warm clean washcloth to loosen the scab and removed it, revealing a pea sized hole with puss in it. I cleaned it out carefully, and applied antibiotic ointment, leaving the wound uncovered of course to dry out. A few hours later, I checked it, and it had closed a bit, and looked good, no heat, no discharge etc. An hour or so after that, while playing with him, I noticed the bump. I can't imagine having missed it on the first investigation of the bite, but it was pretty strategically placed right along his shoulder blade, so it was hard to tell just upon a 'touch and pet' inspection. Glad we found it though, before it got to be something worse.

I did some reading as well, 'encapsulated' from what literature I found, is when the body tries to heal a wound, before infection is gone. It also means (which is assume is a good thing) that the infection was walled off from the rest of the body. But, in the case I found (In a hamster) the abscess had to be removed surgically, kind of like a dermal tumor. I'll definitely ask my vet Monday when they open. Any thoughts? Anyone have to deal with this before?

I'll also try and get some pics of the incision area as well, and SOON I will have a really nice super cute photos of him. A girl I work with does some photography on the side and got some really great pictures of him on Friday. I don't know how long it'll be before I get copies, but as soon as I do, I'll post them here for the squee value.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here are a couple of snaps of the abscess site. You can see the two punctures, and there is a fine line that is almost healed just above them, where the emergency vet made the incision to drain.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Poor little Waffles! He's already been through so much. Hugs and kisses for him and I hope everything will be alright from now on.

Keep us posted on what your regular vet will tell you when you'll call him on Monday.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Poor little Waffles. I've dealt with a number of abscesses in my felines over the years. What I've always been told is that it's important to keep the wound open so that it can drain and heal from the inside out. If the opening closes too soon, and if any infection remains inside the wound after the initial drainage, the remaining infection can grow and spread.

Definitely speak with your vet today and let them know that the lump is still present and the swelling hasn't gone down.

Laurie

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I must be out of it, I completely missed any replies to this thread. I talked to the vet on monday, and went in for grab some SD a/d since that's all he seems to care for right now. I brought him in as well, even though I wasn't given an appointment. ( I was told on the phone that they wouldn't need to see him again until this coming monday for a follow up on the emergency vet visit) The tech looked at it a bit, and I asked about the swelling not going down. I explained to her that the other vet said it was 'encapsulated'. She wasn't too concerned, and said that even though the wound was closed, it was most likely inflammation since the other vet didn't have to 'drain' it. It does feel hard, kind of like he has a marble under his skin, and I'm happy to say, that after 4 days of antibiotic treatment, that the lump has gone down, just a little, but enough so I can notice. The skin isn't so tight over it. I tried looking for some information about 'encapsulated' abscesses, but most of what I come up with is stories about abscesses in the human brain etc.

Since he is eating, playing, teething, and generally acting like a normal kitten (Who also started actually RUNNING today!! (YAY!)) and since there is no heat, weeping, or tenderness on the area, should I assume that everything is alright?

Here's what I could manage to pull up wikipedia about it:

The final structure of the abscess is an abscess wall, or capsule, that is formed by the adjacent healthy cells in an attempt to keep the pus from infecting neighboring structures. However, such encapsulation tends to prevent immune cells from attacking bacteria in the pus, or from reaching the causative organism or foreign object.

Sounds like I just have to wait for the antibiotics to do their magic huh?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be taking him in for his follow up today, since by a happy accident, I'm off work due to a power outage, and Monday is a holiday (which I forgot) It's a hair early for his follow up, but if I didn't get in today, I wouldn't have been able to get him back to the vet's until Monday of next week. Gotta love long hours at work lol. I'll update when we get back this evening.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so the vet visit went well considering. The emergency vet of course had opened up the abscess, cleaned it, said NOTHING about keeping it open etc. My vet reopened it today, and now I'm dealing with a gaping yawning hole in this poor kitten's shoulder. They have me on an extended antibiotic regimen (I paid 55 dollars for clavamox at the emerg vet, and got twice as much from my vet for 15 dollars. I nearly threw up at the price difference) And I have to irrigate the wound with a solution and then put a little bit of sugar in it. No more compresses though, which is nice, because holding a wiggly screaming kitten still for ten mins is the pits. Outside of that, he's healthy, I just wormed him for hook and round per the vet's orders. I'm just a little squeamish about the crater in his poor shoulder. The vet said it was to the muscle.

Anyway, I'll wrap this up, hope to hear back from some of you on this, tips or tricks etc. Also, he just pooped on the carpet behind me. Fun stuff. Time to bust out the steam cleaner.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here's a pic of the wound. It looks awful, but hopefully it will heal up nicely following my vet's directions.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
That sounds more like it in terms of everything I've ever been taught about abscessed wound management. You're always supposed to keep them open and draining so that they heal from the inside out. Shame on the e-vet for not making that clear to you. Yes, it can be a little icky having to flush a deep abscess every day, but it hastens the healing process and keeps things nice and clean and infection free inside the wound tract. Don't worry. That wound won't last too long, particularly in a kitten. Those little buggers heal up fast!

It's a good thing you got him to your own vet today. That abscess may never have healed properly otherwise.

Laurie

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh, one more thing ...

Did your vet tell you to make sure he doesn't lick or scratch at the wound? If the kit does bother the wound, you should go pick up an e-collar to prevent that, or he could do more damage to the wound.

Laurie

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He said it's in a place that's pretty hard to get to (on the top of his shoulder blade) he hasn't scratched at it since we found it, and can't reach to lick it. I'l keep an eye out though, and if he does, I'll get one for sure.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've been meaning to post here for a while. I'm glad they opened the wound and you're irrigating it!

I talked to my vet yesterday and right before I stepped in she was treating a beautiful white kitten who had an abscess in his neck. So I asked her and she said: keeping open, draining, antibiotics treatment and irrigation with a solution that works as a topic treatment.

So it all seems to be on the right track. Wonderful news!

Big hug for Waffles :D btw thank you for those cute videos and pics!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sure hope so, it definitely looks smaller today, but it's weeping. I feel so bad having to pull it open on the surface every time I irrigate it. He's still acting normal though, playing and mewling for attention as usual. I swear he grows an inch longer every day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts