Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning in the middle of the night between Friday and Saturday the snow started coming pretty steadily but it didn't amount to enough to start shutting things down until last night.

Services were cancelled for every single church in this town (there must be 30 of them) as well as may of the small outlying towns.

Part of me really enjoys these days where I'm stuck here because it makes me think of things to do that I probably wouldn't otherwise take the time. Today I'll be doing some baking with the kids. Ken is involved in a Survivor pool at work every Survivor season and his contestant got voted out a month or so ago already, so he's supposed to bring treats to work.

We'll also be playing lots of games with the kids - Candyland, bingo, dominoes, and a bunch of other fun ones.

Ken and the kids are giving Peanut a bath right now.

Thankfully, we haven't had any ice storms like the Northeast US has had so we still have electricity and everything. We ran out and got a few groceries on Friday night because we knew the snow was coming, so technically we could be snowed in here for a week and be fine. The snow is supposed to continue through the day, but at a much slower pace. However, the last night the weatherman said we "might" crack 0 (zero) degrees by Wednesday or Thursday, so that makes travel inadvisable. Wouldn't want to be stalled out there in subzero temps.

Ken already told me he may decide just to stay home from work with the kids tomorrow instead of taking them all the way across town to daycare. I just want to make sure they make it to preschool Tuesday and Thursday because their classroom Christmas party is Tuesday and their classroom Christmas program is Thursday. I sure hope my Dad can make it in to town for that, too. It's a 15-mile drive for him to get to town. He'd hate to miss the kids' first Christmas program.

Well, have fun and stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
well I hope you are not stuck in there too long.
I just cant imagin snow like that. I have never had a white christmas. And if we ever are lucky enough to get a bit of snow it is really only a very light covering.
Last time that we had enough snow to make a snowman...mine was only 3 inches tall :lol:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Brrrr! Keep it..........please! We haven't had ice storms thankfully, but yesterday it was in the mid 30's, and today, it was raining when I went out to feed. We lost alot of snow, and my horse pasture (which is on a hill btw), well, where the horses packed all the snow down is now all ice! Needless to say, the horses were fed inside today. I'm hoping we get snow, because tomorrow it's only supposed to get to 5 degrees, and whatever is mush right now, like the horse fence, and path to the barn, is going to be solid ice!

Stay safe everyone!

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I feel bad for everyone with bad weather. Today we went up to the 50's, but it is getting windy and cloudy and rain then sleet is supposed to move in eventually. We are lucky that our weather tends to be better than most other areas.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
No snow, but after a high of near 50 early this morning, it's now 11 degrees out (wind chill of -9). It's supposed to hit -1 tonight with a high of 8 tomorrow.

I shall just remind myself how lucky I am to have a job. And how lucky I am I don't live in Winnipeg like one of my friends (it's -15 F with a windchill of -40 in Winnipeg.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
We got about 3" of snow today with more coming tomorrow. At least the mountains are getting slammed, they need it bad for the ski season. They are predicting more snow tomorrow and below freezing temps for the next 4-5 days.

Thank god Doc hasn't given me permission to drive or go back to work. I was going to try and go in tomorrow!! Not anymore, I'm staying home for at least another week or two or three :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't mind this weather at all and we won't be snowed in for long. I'm sure people will be out and about going to work, etc., tomorrow. The snowplows have been doing a good job of keeping the major roads around town open today. The snow has slowed down quite a bit and the winds are starting to die down to.

One of our neighbors down the street, who has a very large snowblower, came by and cleaned the whole street's sidewalk and all our driveways! That was really nice.

The danger in this type of weather is the extremely cold temps. Like I was saying earlier, the weatherman said we "might" crack zero degrees by Thursday. Right now at 9:30 Central time it's 16.9 below zero and it's supposed to drop another 10 degrees or so in the middle of the night before climbing back up again.

I made chili for supper and I think I'll sit down to a cup of hot chocolate after the kids are in bed and Ken and I watch the Survivor Finale.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
It went from weather in the 30's yesterday, and rain, to it actually being just below zero here right now! It's only supposed to reach a high of 5 degrees today!

Stay safe all!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'm officially bored now. Work is all caught up so I have nothing to do there right now, my home computer is on the fritz and it's too cold out to justify going out to McDonald's to get a large coffee (I like theirs better than making my own here).

I ended up not watching any Survivor last night but Ken watched last week's epi cause he missed it and watched the last episode up until they made the final vote. I saw the winner on the Internet this morning but I'm not supposed to tell Ken. Makes no difference to me. I didn't watch one episode of Survivor this season.

On a good note, The Vikings blew their game against the Arizona Cardinals yesterday. Apparently many people had been calling the game saying there was no way the Vikes would take it. Guess they were WRONG! :lol: Even better is that Green Bay isn't even doing good enough to get a wild card spot right now.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Actually it's still relatively warm here,but getting colder. If I'd have known it would stay in the upper 50s yesterday,I would have opened the windows,aired the place out. I opened the windows this morning,left them open till the rain blew in. It's raining now.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Jo!!!

*Runs away quietly to hide now!*

A Vikings football fan was almost killed in a tragic horse accident. He fell from the horse and was nearly trampled to death. Thankfully the manager of the K-Mart store came out and unplugged it.

How To Wash A Sweatshirt...

One day, a housework challenged husband decided to wash his sweatshirt.

Soon after he stepped into the Laundry Room, he shouted to his wife, "What setting do I use on the washing machine for my sweatshirt?"

"It depends," she replied. "What does it say on your shirt??"

He yelled back, "Go Vikings!!"

She replied, "Use hot water, a box of Tide, and four cups of bleach!"

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Those are pretty good! I'm forwarding them on to my husband at work.

EDITED: I was just looking back at the last post I had before this one. I left out a couple of keys words which changes the whole thing.

The Vikings blew the score out of the water, beating Arizona 35-14!!!!!!!! They won, they won, they won.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Fall and winter are at war here, making lots of rain. That helps the severe drought this area was having.
But it doesn't help my disappointment at not having any snow. :(
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
On the bright side, Stormy stopped door-darting about 35 degrees ago. She's still a NC kitty at heart, and when I come home she sort of loiters near the door, like: "Is is still really mind-blowingly cold out there? It is? OK, scratch my break for freedom. I'm going to go back to the fuzzy blanket now."

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buddy is mostly an outdoor cat. A couple of times over the last few days he's begged to go outside so we'll let him out just so he can get a reality check, and within 2 minutes he's back at the door begging to come in.

·
Super Moderator
26,513 Posts
It's pouring here, supposed to last the next three days, and since this lovely little CRAPPY house has a matching crappy heating system, my girls and I are basically holed up in my bedroom with the space heater. The rest of the house is in the low 50's, my room is about 67. brrrrrrrrrrr

Yup, Jo, those little key words changed a lot!!! :lol:

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Bethany said:
On the bright side, Stormy stopped door-darting about 35 degrees ago.
Wish I could say the same for Toby. I'm sure that cat would brave a blizzard in sub zero temperatures if it meant going out in the garden for 30 minutes.

No snowing in London at the moment but its been darn chilly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
melysion said:
Bethany said:
On the bright side, Stormy stopped door-darting about 35 degrees ago.
Wish I could say the same for Toby. I'm sure that cat would brave a blizzard in sub zero temperatures if it meant going out in the garden for 30 minutes.

No snowing in London at the moment but its been darn chilly.
High of 44 F in London tomorrow? Ah, that's nothing. :) We had a high 5 here (-15 C).

Could be worse. I have a friend in Winnipeg...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts