Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is specifically for people in Canada, but of anyone else knows then that works too. :)

So I have been experimenting with different kinds of wet food as I want to try to feed mostly wet and possibly phase out dry eventually. Problem is my oldest cat is picky and hates wet. I have found a few kinds she eats a bit of but that's it. I have looked into Weruva and bought a bunch of cans of this. The two who love wet go nuts for it and I offered the Asian fusion one to my cat who barely touches it and she ate tons! Even after I caught her eating it on her own. :D

Here's the problem... Price. I've only seen it at pet value. It comes in the 3 oz and 5.5 ounce sizes. Since I have three cats I get the 5.5 ounces. It's something like $2.40(don't quote me) a can!!! I don't know the exact amount but it's over $2. I can't afford that when feeding 3 cats I can only give one can to share twice a week max. It's a good intro to get my fussy cat onto wet but I can't keep buying it if I can't find it cheaper somewhere. I know pet value is pricey but no one else seems to carry it, and online ... Well the shipping costs on canned cat food is unreal.

Where do you guys get it from?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm pretty sure Weruva is under $2 at both GlobalPetFoods and Pet Planet. I'm in Western Canada and I know they are chains, but I'm not sure Pet Planet's out east where you are.

Oh, wait! I just remembered I have a spreadsheet /rummage.

I'm going to post the whole thing because the prices (in Canadian) are from GlobalPetFoods, and are current as of about a month ago. Io really loved the Weruva (She also tried the chicken & Pumpkin flavour). Maybe our cats have similar tastes? I dunno, I found it helpful when I was experimenting with different mid/high quality foods (but I made it! So I'm biased!)

The reason its not in my general rotation is two-fold; 1) It doesn't come in the economical 13 oz cans, and 2) Every flavour but the Nine Liver and the has big fat veggies in it that she picks out. We keep a few cans of the Chicken/pumpkin (grandma soup, I think it's called) around in case she has any toilet/tummy problems, but tbh we haven't had to use it since going to primarily wellness and Evo. /knock on wood.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow great spread sheet! Hmmmm I'm not sure if there's a pet planet around here... I went to a new store recently that may have been it but I don't remember. They didn't have Weruva though. Last time I was at global pet foods they didn't have it either. I'll have to check next time I go. Petvalue has all varieties but it is way over price... For sure it was over $2 but then again most of their wet food is more than other stores. I'll have to look around to see of I can find it cheaper. Thanks :)

Mine love the pumpkin too... Except the fussy one.. The big green pees were off putting to her. She liked the finger lickin chicken though. I might have to test out the chicken soup tonight to see if she likes that. :) after all the trouble I went through with Evo , they don't like it as much as I hoped. I only tried the one flavour so far though.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Just a totally gratuitous 'heads-up!' for anyone using Weruva products.......

These are very low-calorie products........that has a number of implications.

Obviously, potential weight loss could be at the top of that list. Have a read of this http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/116464-no-wonder-shes-losing-weight.html

Another obvious deduction is that one would have to use more of this food to adequately feed one's cat....more food=more cost

IMO, Weruva could be 'handy' in a weight reduction effort - but used with great care at the same time. Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat weight management, obese cat, cat weight loss

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a totally gratuitous 'heads-up!' for anyone using Weruva products.......

These are very low-calorie products........that has a number of implications.

Obviously, potential weight loss could be at the top of that list. Have a read of this http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/116464-no-wonder-shes-losing-weight.html

Another obvious deduction is that one would have to use more of this food to adequately feed one's cat....more food=more cost

IMO, Weruva could be 'handy' in a weight reduction effort - but used with great care at the same time. Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat weight management, obese cat, cat weight loss
Oh I wasn't planning on feeding this exclusively. I am just trying to get my one cat to eat more wet as well as it seems healthy and the other cats love it. I won't feed it more then a few times per week max.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
It is harder to find around here but I actually happen to have snapped a picture of it in my random 'price check cat food' spree... there's a place in BC called Tisol, which has around 6 locations -only in BC as far as I know unless it goes by another name elsewhere. My picture is telling me that they sell it for 1.69 for the 5 oz cans.

I shop there for everything, it's where I get the large tins of EVO at 1.89 as well, and I can see from my pictures that small 3 oz tins of Almo were 1.19, 5 oz tins of BFF were 1.39, Tiki Cat (whatever that strange size is - the larger version) was 1.99, Instinct rabbit/duck 5 oz was 1.59, Spot's Stew 5 oz was 2.09, Merrick's 5 oz was 1.49, Felidae large tins were 1.89 or 1.75 depending on type. So yeah... shop around, you may find a great chain store or a great independently run store.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
There is a Pet Planet in Burlington, on Brant Street, although I don't know if they carry Weruva. My girls used to eat Weruva, but then decided they didn't like it anymore. If you google Pet Planet Burlington, that should bring up the contact details. You could phone and see if they carry Weruva.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is a Pet Planet in Burlington, on Brant Street, although I don't know if they carry Weruva. My girls used to eat Weruva, but then decided they didn't like it anymore. If you google Pet Planet Burlington, that should bring up the contact details. You could phone and see if they carry Weruva.
been 1995 since i been to toronto,,,are tim hortons donuts still as good as they were back then???

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! That's the store I went to. Their variety of food was very sparse though. The only really food food they had was wellness core(not the new flavours) and instincts (I think), nothing was cheaper though. I asked about Weruva, the guy says he never heard of it. I'll search good and try and find smaller places. I really like global pet foods but they didn't have Weruva when I was there. I wish there was one store that had everything here. I have to hop around to different stores for different brands.

Ronss- yes the donuts and timbits are still great :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts