Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a whole lot of money to be strictly serving wet food for my cat, but I think it will help his weight and plus he needs food to prevent urinery tract infection, so i was thinking of 2 options:

1)if i gave him say a can a day and mixed it with his dry food, would it be a good option? or not recommended?

2)If i gave him a can a day (half a can at each serving) and incase he was still hungry, leave sum dry food out for a half and hour?

or if anyone else has any ideas i'd be happy to hear them and hopefully use them!

Thankz in advance!

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Are you talking 3 oz cans or 5.5 oz cans? An adult cat needs only about 5.5 oz of wet food a day. So if it is the larger can, you likely won't *need* to feed dry food. (Although leaving it out for 1/2 hour is fine, as long as he doesn't get overweight)

I wouldn't recommend mixing the dry with the canned, because there is a lot of bacteria on the outside of dry food. So the moisture in canned food creates a perfect breeding ground for these bacteria and can make your kitty sick.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've mixed for years

Here I am back at the board due to the encouragement of one lovely forum member.

I have multiple cats and not all of them like wet food alone. I have been mixing wet with dry forever and it is fine as long as you don't leave it out for an extended period of time. I put the food down, give everyone 1/2 hour to eat and then it comes out and what is left over is thrown away. It only takes very little dry to stretch a can of wet. You could mix it 25% dry to 75% wet. Make sure you use premium wet and dry. I know a lot of people rave about Wellness, but none of my cats care for it. They do care for Authority (Petsmart) brand, which has been deemed wholesome by this forum. However, I believe they were involved in some kind of scandal. Someone else can elaborate on this for you. For dry they prefer the Innova. Innova also has a wet food you might want to try. Some people have also had good luck with dry Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, but not so good reviews with the wet form. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hey, Lotocats, glad to see you back!

You're right, as long as you don't leave the wet-dry mixture down very long it is okay. However, the bacterial population can double every 20 minutes, so in some cases even 1/2 hour may still be pushing it.

Definitely don't mix wet with dry and leave it out all day; not only is there the bacteria problem but the wet food gets dried out and nasty, and you'll end up with a ton of wasted food at the end of the day.

The option #2 plan of feeding wet and then leaving dry down for 1/2 hour is very workable.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts