Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few weeks ago my garbage disposal broke. My3babies had tried to grind up 2 syringes (not on purpose of course!). It made a grinding, crunching noise and then went silent...there was also a smokey smell. That was that. No action when you hit the switch. I was bummed.

So, for about 3 weeks we've been dealing with no garbage disposal. With all these cats, we end up throwing away a lot of wet food. Usually it goes down the GD...but since it's been broken, I've been putting it in ziploc bagies and tossing them. So...either way, it's been annoying.

Today, I finally decided to do something about it. I spent about 2 hours researching GDs and how to install them, comparing prices and looking for deals. I finally decided on a 3/4hp Kenmore...and decided that I had better make sure it was an upgrade (wasn't sure what hp I had).

So, I go look under the sink...1/2hp...hey...what's this red button here...push it in...nothing happens...hmmm....turn on the water and hit the switch....and voila...working GD.

What a dork I am!

·
Registered
878 Posts
And here I was thinking how clever you were! Don't feel bad, I once drove my car without using the heat for 2 years because my AC was broken. I thought the AC and the heat were the same unit!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Kitty's Mom said:
So, I go look under the sink...1/2hp...hey...what's this red button here...push it in...nothing happens...hmmm....turn on the water and hit the switch....and voila...working GD.

What a dork I am!
Oh not at all. I guess it would be easy to miss the switch. After all, out of sight, out of mind. But anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of thermal overload breakers. :)

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
What is it about sisters!!! :p My sister was taking care of my cats while i was out of town. She spilled grape juice in her purse and washed it out.

Well... when I got home and ran the disposal it made a horrilbe grinding noise. She had let a penny get washed into the disposal! You cant even tell its a penny now. Grrrrrrr.... I had to fish it out with tongs.

My disposal has a button on the bottom where you cant see it. The manufacturers dont make it easy to locate. Glad you found it!

If you ever have to buy a disposal make sure its 3/4 hp or more. Stainless steel insides. Guarentees are essential. Insinkator are good ones to buy. Last a long time.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I love those things. When I was staying with friends in the US, we spent hours playing with that thing :D I think the dried spaghetti and a full juice carton were the most entertaining. The fun was ended after he put a spoon down there.... :(

(This all happened when his parents were out I must add).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep...I almost bought the 3/4 hp Insinkerator...before I found the button. I'm just glad I found it before I bought the new one and had a guy out to install it. THAT would have been really embarrassing. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
I had moved into a new (to me) condo and one day the dishwasher stopped working. I fiddled around with it a bit, didn't find anything, so I called a repair guy. He found that there was no power going to the DW, checked breakers etc. and said I needed to call an electrician.

A couple days later I got laid off from my job, so I figured I certainly had time to wash the dishes myself and ought to save the money. Between being laid off for 2-3 months and then getting caught up financially, it was 6 months before I called an electrician.

He found that the DW was wired to a switch near the kitchen sink (totally out of code) and the switch was turned off. And I suddenly remembered....

My father had been over helping me do some stuff in the house and asked about the switch. I said I didn't know what it was for, and hadn't really taken the time to try and figure it out, but since it had been on when I moved in, I left it on. Guess who turned it off without telling me :evil:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I thought of this thread last night because of our disposal. I was going to put some stuff down it, turned the water on, hit the switch and nothing. I knew about the reset button from dealing with this before so I hit that, turned the water on, flicked the switch and still nothing. It's dead as a doornail.

We just had this one installed maybe 2 months ago at the most because the last one, which was about 5 years old, died. I'm getting tired of these disposals. Has anyone else heard of one only lasting a couple months?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I once spent half an hour on the phone to a computer engineer to try and work out what was wrong with a piece of software.

Turns out that there were two .exe files. One was just an update (10Mb), and the other was the program (200MB). Guess which one I double clicked on to "install" it..... :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts