Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't given my cat any raw fish yet at all, but would be interested in giving it a try.
Have any of you got any experience with this?
Are there any fish that they definitely can or can't have?
Is it even a good idea to offer fish? Whole or de-boned?
I had thought maybe some whole small whitebait to start with? I can only get it frozen though, or is fresh best? I could always try boned bigger fish if fresh is better.
Any suggestions/advice?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Jules, my understanding is that fish really isnt meant for cats. It's ok every now and then, but it's really not the best for them.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
The closest I give to raw fish is canned sardines (make sure it's in water and low/no sodium added).

I give them one or two a week.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've always heard you are not supposed to give raw fish to cats (parcticularly salmon). This is from pets.webmd.com:

Raw fish should not be fed to cats. Raw fish contains an enzyme that destroys vitamin B1 (thiamin). A deficiency of this vitamin results in brain damage. Fish is also deficient in vitamin E and has the potential to transmit diseases.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the advice everyone.
I had read in a few places that fish (either raw or cooked) isn't good for cats, but then some places said it was fine. It can be a bit confusing sometimes with such conflicting information out there!
It's good to get the input of actual raw food feeders to keep me right - thanks :thumb
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
450 Posts
I heard about too much tuna not being good for cats. Something to do with the mercury?

I tend to avoid fish for my cats because of the bones. I do give them little pieces of smoked mackeral if I am having it for breakfast though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts