Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know, I'm currently raising two 5 week old kittens. We have a routine down now, but lately I've found them trying to dash out the door. They know that when I stand up, it means I'm about to leave, so they'll run to the door and sit in front of it, either to block me or to come with me I'm not sure. Finnick runs out the door as soon as I open it and dashes into the living room (they're in the bathroom). Katniss is more hesitant, but she just has a cautious personality.

I'm wondering when it is appropriate to give them more run of the house. I plan to always keep them in the bathroom at night until they are at least 8 weeks old or more just because of the litterbox issue, but when can I allow them to sit/play in the living room? I probably won't until sometime next week or so if it's a good idea. I'm just so frightened of them getting into a place I can't see them or get to them.

·
Banned
948 Posts
I think they're probably a bit young to be running around the house, but it really depends on how well you can handle them. If you let them out for a hour or so, do you think you'd be able to pick them up and bring them back to the bathroom?

If not, you might try putting a solid but see-through baby gate in the bathroom door. This way, they can see into the rest of the house and won't feel so cut off, but they can't access it. Plus, you can just climb over the gate and won't have to worry anymore about anyone dashing off as you open and close the door.

The baby gate is what I used for my last litter, but they were 12-week old ferals who needed one heck of a lot of socializing before I could let them have the run of the house. Someone else may have a suggestion that might be more appropriate for your situation.

Good luck!!!

AC

·
Registered
56 Posts
My kitten is 10 weeks and I don't let him have free roam of the home :wink

I keep him supervised when he is exploring but he goes back into a separated room at night. He is too small and there are places (like between the fridge and cabinets) that his small body can get into and get stuck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, today they escaped and so I let them run around for about twenty minutes, then I returned them to the bathroom. I think I'll stick with doing that. I don't plan for them to run around without being supervised, but the bathroom is small (I live in an apartment), and I think they're bored with it now. Plus, spending most of the day in the bathroom is kind of boring for me too, even when I bring my computer in there. They are feral (or as feral as 5 week old kittens can be), so I need to constantly be with them so that they're used to people touching them, talking, etc. Hopefully by 12 weeks they will be okay with being able to run around, though at night I might still have them sleep in the bathroom. I'll see how well-behaved they are.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yoshi is 19 weeks old now and we still keep him in his bedroom when we're not home. He has a thing for the curtains and for the blind strings. That is really his only bad behavior now. I am still paranoid about him hurting himself.

His bedroom is literrally HIS bedroom though......it's a spare bedroom with only cat furniture, his litter box, food/water, bed, toys.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could do that, but we live in a two bedroom apartment. We're moving in a month or two though to a three bedroom house, so unless we get another roommate, he'll get his own room. If not, then I'll set him up somewhere that is his.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Alice is 8 weeks old now and I let her roam the house when I am home, but when I'm gone, she has to stay in her room. Same deal as Meezer lover. :)

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
The problem with 5 week old kitties, is that if they're having fun running around in another room, they don't remember where their litter box is or they have to go right away and can't make it to the box. You don't want them getting in the habit of just going where they want. 10 weeks is a better age to give them freedom, and by then they should be remembering where the box is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're 9 weeks old now, so I've been letting them out all day. They're put in their room at night and when we're not here. Other than that, I just let them play in the living room. They're too big to stay in the bathroom all the time, and they're completely litter box trained now, so I'm no longer worried about it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts