Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Princess is sometimes attacked by Prince. They're neutered, so they never injure each other, but I find lots of hairs on the floor afterwards, apparently from both of them. The problem is I can't separate them because she, unfortunately, runs under the bed from him, and that's the only place in the house I can't reach.

Afterwards she spends weeks, even months, immobile on my bed, coming down only to use the litter box by my bed, and only if and when I close the bedroom door for her to dare climb down the bed. When I go to work, she hides in my bedroom closet.

That's fine with me, because people have convinced me that in a country without shelters or adoptions, where cats can only starve or die from injuries / sickness in the streets, she's better off this way than being put back in the streets, where I took her from, flea-infested, hungry and cold, desperate for a mummy and a home with a fluffy blanket.

But 3 times I broke down and cried, because I'm so afraid she'll die from lack of exercise or depression. I begged her to come out of the bedroom, explained that Prince only attacks her once in a blue moon when he's bored and frustrated with nothing to do and too much energy to spend, and I don't catch that quickly enough, and even so she doesn't get injured.

The first time, by total coincidence, she jumped off the bed and went for a walk in the apt., then remained with everyone in the living room for months (till the next attack). The same happened the 2nd time. And tonight, the 3rd. She'd been in the bedroom for about 1-2 weeks now, and now she's purring in the living room.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
It sounds like they've already worked out their relationship. Maybe Princess just prefers spending time on your bed and your bedroom, and really is afraid of Prince, tho she does venture out and gets attacked on occasion. Why can't Princess spend all her time in your bedroom with the door closed? She may be a calmer happier cat if she had no interaction with Prince at all. I doubt she will die from lack of exercise.....but being under stress can lead to health problems. Maybe worth a try? She's showing her vulnerability and fear by hiding in the closet where it may be more difficult for Prince to get at her while you're not there? Yes some cats do just like attacking to relieve their boredom. Maybe more active interplay with Prince would help him to relieve his boredom. Switch around toys, put out an empty box now and then or a bunch for him to explore.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catloverami, this is not the topic I intended, but your answer has given me an idea, to post another thread about Princess.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Sometimes when I feed Guy, the outside abandoned cat, Caddie the next door cat tries to drive him away from his food. I will give Caddie a little food to distract her. One time Oscar a, cat from up the road, came and asked for food. I gave him a little and Caddie tried to get it. I guided her back to her own food and she tried again. I guided her back a second time and she hissed at me quite violently. I then clawed my hands and hissed at her. She immediately went back to her food.

Don't know if this helps. Cats are visual and copyists. I suggest giving Princess your support an at the same time reassuring Prince you still love him. Not going to be easy.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday I had enough of her being careless with her claws, so each time I'd scream "eeeeeeh!" in an exaggerated way so she'd get the point once and forever. A couple minutes later I accidentally leaned a bit too heavily on the base of her tail and she gave this obviously exaggerated "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!", like saying "see, you too are careless sometimes with MY needs!" It was hilarious. I don't know, sometimes I think cats may understand a lot more than we think they do, even without getting human language. But judging from the amount of replies in this thread, I guess I'm almost alone in thinking so...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't REALLY think they understand, but something similar happened to me when my Amy (RIP) was very sick and refused to eat. One day I broke down and talked to her, and told her we were trying to help her, but she needs to help us too, and eat her food and drink her water. The next day she started eating again. Sadly, her disease continued to progress very quickly so that made no difference :(

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you mention it, the same happened to me with one of the yard cats, who is very ill. Once I had tried everything I could think of, and my last resort was to beg her, and then she started eating and finished her meal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts