Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month old kitten has been making a shapeless poo lately. He was on a medication two weeks ago, but has been off it soon. I told the vet over the phone and they said to mix in white rice with his wet food and that should help. After a week on that, he's still making the shapeless stuff, which I imagine is diarrhea after it dries. He seems healthy to me and is still very active so I'm wondering if it could be worms? He was checked out a couple months ago and was clean so I'm not even sure if he could have gotten them somehow. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If he goes outside it is very likely he could have them. Im not sure if worms can cause runny stool. Id say that if he hasnt been wormed in the last 3 months to do it anyway. It may be his food which is upsetting him.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's an inside cat. I never let him out. The vet's secretary said I'd be able to see worms if he had them but I don't see any. He's also been off antibiotics for almost 3 weeks so I would think that wouldn't be the problem. He's still very active and not acting sick so I have no idea what it could be.

·
Registered
209 Posts
next time kitty poos in his box, hop over there before he tries to bury it and see if there's worms in his poo. they will be small, white, rice sized worms. if you see anything like that, you've got tapeworms to deal with. they are easily treatable by a vet.

there could be many reasons kitty's poo is runny. do you let him drink milk? that can surely do it. my youngest cat had that same problem when she was a kitten. she never acted sick or anything, but she had diarrhea all the time. i attributed it to the kitten chow/milk combo i was feeding her, so i switched food. i got her some iams kitten food. i don't remember what kind it was off hand, but i read the label and it was made to help solidify their poo. worked like a charm! you could try holding off on the wet food for a while too and see if that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My litter box has a cover to it and I removed it today to see what happens when he goes. I actually saw him make #2 and it was definitely not solid, but not downright liquidy. It was more of a soft cream cheese consistency. I moved him out before he was about to cover it and did not see anything worm like in there. When I first got him, he was making short, solid poops and then after I had to give him antibiotics for gingivitis he started the softer feces. I've tried taking away wet food and even gave him a rice diet for a week but still nothing.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
http://www.drpetra.com/Cats/Diarrhea%20in%20Cats.htm
Here's a quote from that site:

How is diarrhea treated?

With minor cases of diarrhea, treatment may be geared toward one or more of the common causes of uncomplicated diarrhea. Even with negative fecal examinations, many cats with uncomplicated diarrhea are routinely treated for worms. Other therapies often include drugs to control the motility of the intestinal tract, medications that relieve inflammation in the intestinal tract and, often a special diet for a few days. This approach allows the body's healing mechanisms to correct the problem.

With major causes of diarrhea, initial therapy may be supportive; this would include fluid replacement, electrolyte replacement, and perhaps antibiotics. Additional therapy will depend upon the diagnosis.

What is the prognosis?

With minor (uncomplicated) cases of diarrhea, we expect improvement within 2-4 days of initiating therapy. If this does not occur, a change in medication or additional testing may be needed to further define possible causes. Please keep us informed of lack of expected improvement so that we may manage the situation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts