Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this post and wondered what my friends cats were. We don't really have all those names for them here (calicos, etc), at least they're not popular knowledge ;)

One is this one:

I know her mother was white & gray, father was an orange tabby. Apparently she had a lot of brothers and they were all white & gray since males can't have three colours. Does she qualify as a calico or what?

Then there's this other one:

Her mother was black, father the same orange tabby.

Just curious to know what they are :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The absolutely correct term for the top kitty is color-dilute (also called "pastel") brown patched tabby-and-white; if I am seeing correctly and there is some tabby striping in the gray patches. Easier to call them "torbies" (a combination of tortie, for tortoiseshell, and tabby, for the stripes). The bottom cat looks like a true tortoiseshell, or tortie).

Calicos, by definition, are white cats with color patches; so the predominant color is white. Calicos can be male, but I don't think torties can. Anybody get an "A" in genetics? :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
697 Posts
Apparently you can get male torties but they are very rare. A chance of 1 in 3000. Years ago in England it was believed warts would disappear if rubbed by the tail of a tortie tom during May and in Japan fishing folklore believed a tortie tom on board would protect the crew from storms and the ghost of their ancestors so tortie toms were worth a lot of money.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting :D Thanks for the replies. Altho I am not sure the first kitty has tabby stripes, I dont think so, so she may be just a diluted calico.

·
Registered
282 Posts
OMG, I could swear that the second one is identicle to a cat I had many years ago! She was the daughter of my longhaired black cat and her father was a ginger cat (who wasn't ours!). I was shocked when I saw that pic because I've been looking for a cat like Rosie for so long but could never find it! Do you know how old she is and what her name is??
I'm not too sure what the breed she is, maybe a tortoishell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts