Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did some reading up on raw food and seriously i am overwhelmed...

So even with all the positives i read about getting from a raw diet, im still remaining canned wet food for now~

Just want to find out what brand of wet food everyone is buying and feedback~
I need to go back look at what im buying first, cant remeber offhand...
I think its whiskas something...but its not in a can, its in packet form~

My Vet actually passed me some dry food samples to take home IAMS, and told me to crush it and mix with water for feeding~
*My kitten is only 5weeks old having difficulty breaking down the dry food*

· Registered
8,949 Posts
Why not just give the kitten canned? It's better for it anyway and then you wouldn't have to crush/soak the kibble?

I feed:

Month 1: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Merrick's Before Grain Beef flavor
Month 2: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Evo Venison
Month 3: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Merrick's Cowboy Cookout
Month 4: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Weruva Steak Frites

Then I start over with month 1.

· Registered
248 Posts
my cats i feed blue wilderness , chicken flavor, dry, but not much...%25 of their diet. my siamese really like this,,but i am trying not to give him much of it..
the other 75% is combination of other brands...they like wellness chicken and turkey..sort of like chicken soup for the cats loving soul....will eat some of the natural balance brands....

they don,t like merrick much, evangers, evo...these are the brands i have tried at my mom and pop store...

oh, i tried this brand,
Earthborn Chicken Catcciatori Dinner in Gravy, and they like that the best, they really dig into this food...only bad thing, its not cheap...

YOU HAVE A KITTEN , SO SAVE THIS FOR LATER., GET KITTEN FOOD

· Registered
104 Posts
Unfortunately I can't give you too many specific brand recommendations (I'm in Europe), but since formulations change all the time anyway, you're better off understanding what to look for so you can assess each available food yourself :)

An excellent resource is the catinfo site: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

The quick-and-dirty version of what to look for:

- "Complete and balanced" printed on the label;

- First ingredient is a named* meat (e.g. "chicken", rather than "poultry", or "chicken meal"** rather than "meat meal");

- Second ingredient is a named organ source (e.g. "chicken by-products"** or "chicken by-product meal", rather than "animal byproducts"), or the lack of organ inclusion can be compensated reasonably well by added vitamins and minerals;

- Protein is from an animal source rather than a vegetable source (grains, for example, can increase the total protein in the can without increasing bioavailable protein levels***)

- Little to no vegetable matter (much easier with canned than kibble, which needs substantial carbs to hold its shape).

Also look for:

- Less than 10% of the calories coming from carbohydrates;

- Less than 50% of the non-carb calories from fat (or: over 50% of the non-carb calories from protein... IOW, for every 100 kcal, less than 10 kcal from carbs and less than 45 kcal from fat).

* A vague "animal meat meal" is, however, preferable to any plant material.

** For an explanation of what "meal", "by-products" and other listed ingredients actually are, see: AAFCO DEFINITIONS OF DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS If a 'meat meal' is listed, an additional fat source should also appear in the ingredients list (preferably named, e.g. "chicken fat"). Ideally manufacturers would specify the actual organs included ("liver", "lung", etc.), but very very few even keep track of those details, let alone print them on the label.

***"Hydrolyzed" plant proteins are readily bioavailable, as the proteins have been broken down into their component amino acids. However, the amino acid proportions won't be the same as from an animal source, and some (e.g. taurine) aren't available at all from plants.

If you're feeding an all-wet diet, just let your kitten eat as much as she wants. A life-stage-specific food isn't really necessary, although "kitten" foods produced by companies that make relatively low-quality adult food do tend to contain relatively more fat and protein. Check the labels.

There really isn't much (any?) benefit to be had from feeding kibble, but if you feel you must feed some, Orijen and Acana are excellent quality for kibble (same company makes both); Taste of the Wild is decent as well. Note that TOTW includes a rather high mineral ("ash") content, including magnesium, so be careful with that one if you're concerned about struvite crystals.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I feed my cats canned food in the morning and afternoon. At night before I go to bed, they get a light meal with raw food. They don't get dry food regularly (which is bad for them, even the best brand), but I give them Orijin dry meal occasionally (once a week maybe) as a treat.

The canned I feed:
Wellness, Evo, Innova, Weruva BFF, Performentra, Nutrient Organic, Chicken soup for cat lover, Before Grain. Those are the best canned food available, but they can be expensive.

The flavor are mainly chicken/turkey/quail, except Weruva BFF is fish based.

· Registered
48 Posts
I did some reading up on raw food and seriously i am overwhelmed...

So even with all the positives i read about getting from a raw diet, im still remaining canned wet food for now~

Just want to find out what brand of wet food everyone is buying and feedback~
I need to go back look at what im buying first, cant remeber offhand...
I think its whiskas something...but its not in a can, its in packet form~

My Vet actually passed me some dry food samples to take home IAMS, and told me to crush it and mix with water for feeding~
*My kitten is only 5weeks old having difficulty breaking down the dry food*
I feed a canned diet to my kitty, though I have some dry food on hand. The dry food I have on hand is Nature's Variety Duck Meal and Turkey Meal kibble. His main diet is a rotation of Nature's Variety, Merrick, and sometimes Before Grain and Weruva. He goes crazy for Weruva Steak and Nature's Variety everything, especially rabbit!

· Registered
252 Posts
No dry food here.

For canned, I've tried a lot of different brands and varieties for Josie. I even keep a list with me of what she likes and what she won't touch. Her favorites include Weruva, Wellness, Evo, Natural Balance, Blue, Soulistic, and sometimes Before Grain.

· Registered
750 Posts
For mine that get half raw/half canned, they get mostly Merrick Surf & Turf, then all the none fish flavors of Before Grain. They also do get some low quality grain free wet food to help keep the cost of their canned food down.

I don't (and won't) feed dry.

· Registered
714 Posts
Evo, wellness core, blue wilderness, avoderm, soulistic. Chicken, turkey, duck flavors. Only grain free varieties, and i rotate on a daily basis with raw thrown in occasionally.

· Registered
33 Posts
We rotate Merrick Cowboy Cookout with Wellness Core Turkey/Chicken wet food. She also gets a quarter cup of Innova dry food per day that she rarely finishes. We leave it out while we're at work in case she gets hungry.

· Registered
171 Posts
my cats started on chicken soup for the kitten lover's soul but their 'presents' in the cat box would stink up my whole apartment so I switched them to BG kibble and canned. They'll eat it but it isn't their favorite so I bought them nature's variety and they loved it. I didn't realize at the time that I had bought it on sale and regularly priced is like a dollar more a can than BG and now they won't eat the BG. Oops.

· Registered
823 Posts
Seriously, I'm dropping all fancy, high end brands except for Weruva, Soulistic, and sometimes Nature's Variety Instinct Lamb for mostly Fancy Feast Classic.

I've run the gambit on just about all of them, and in the end I'm starving my poor Truman to death. He wants Fancy Feast. The classic pate is respectable enough, and I won't be starving my biggest boy any more.

· Registered
199 Posts
Since I found this forum a few weeks ago, I've tried to switch Ziggy over to some better quality foods. Previously he had only ever gotten Friskies. He liked the chicken (shredded and sliced), the flaked tuna, the salmon pate, and was ok on the sliced or shredded beef. I've tried giving him Wellness chicken and turkey flavors, he wasn't interested at all. Tried Innova senior cat food, again no interest. Tried Authority chicken pate, no interest. He did like the Authority catfish until one time I put it in a syringe and had to force feed him. Since then, no interest.

So I've learned to save the good stuff for the assist feedings and just put the darn Friskies in his bowl.

· Registered
714 Posts
Since I found this forum a few weeks ago, I've tried to switch Ziggy over to some better quality foods. Previously he had only ever gotten Friskies. He liked the chicken (shredded and sliced), the flaked tuna, the salmon pate, and was ok on the sliced or shredded beef. I've tried giving him Wellness chicken and turkey flavors, he wasn't interested at all. Tried Innova senior cat food, again no interest. Tried Authority chicken pate, no interest. He did like the Authority catfish until one time I put it in a syringe and had to force feed him. Since then, no interest.

So I've learned to save the good stuff for the assist feedings and just put the darn Friskies in his bowl.
You mention he likes the shredded stuff, have you tried weruva, soulistic or avoderm?? It may be a texture issue. Weruva and soulistic make shredded chicken varieties, and avoderm makes one that is chicken chunks in gravy. My cat did not want anything to do with pate(wellness, blue wilderness, or Innova) when I switched him to canned, and I got him to eat it by mixing it with the avoderm.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.