Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Tonks for 3 weeks now, she's settled in great by the way! The first type of litter we used was Tidy Cat because we had a coupon for it. Well, it clumps fine, but smells awful when we scoop it. Now, I know we are stirring up all the yuck, but it even smells that way the day after a full box cleaning and litter change.
Is there a better little that will mask this smell more? We are almost out of litter, so I'd like to see what everyone else is using before I buy more. Also, we bought a 32lb container of litter, and it has only lasted 3 weeks, with about enough for a half little change left. Are we changing too often, or putting too much in, or is this about right? I'm not sure how long a 32lb box of litter should last.
Tonks is an only kitten, so that should help if anyone can approximate how much we should be using. We've changed and cleaned the box completely 3 times in the 3 weeks we've had her.
Would really love some suggestions on a better litter.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box System at PETCO[tidy+cat+breeze]-_-xxx&gclid=CO_znPL_oqoCFRQg2godWXEuVQ

That is what I use and I love it. I have only been using the system for 6 months but its the best I have ever had ~ and I have had the electric hands free litter boxes in the past.

I saw all the reviews and for the reviews ~ its the cheapest best reviewed product I could find. We have 3 cats and never a problem with odor.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Litterpurrfect from Costco. Yes it's clay but it clumps well, odor control is decent, super affordable (7.99 for 30 lbs), and the kitties don't have any problems with it. I would like to try worlds best one of these days though, since I would like to stop using clay.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This World's Best, is it really flushable? Like can you flush it down everyday and its safe and won't clog anything up?

I read a little about it but wasn't sure on the flushable part. :wink
I am an old school ~ if its too good to be true it probably is...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
If the pee clump is REALLY big then it gets caught in the bowl and I've had to plunge it to break it up. If it's a small clump that fits down the hole then NO problem whatsoever. I did notice that any loose litter sticks to the sides of the bowl and that means i have to clean the bowl every time I flush it.

The problem is that I pump MowMOw SO full of water because of his weewee problems that his pee clumps are enormous. So pee goes into a biodegradable dog waste bag and into the trash (because it doesn't smell) and poo goes down the toilet (because even in a bag in the trash can it stinks up the house).

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm wanting to get away from clay myself.

I've been seriously considering trying Purina's Yesterday's News brand. However, I'm a bit hesitant to buy anything Purina now.

What are the non-clay options besides corn and paper?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was using Swheat litter for the longest time, and then i decided to try Arm and Hammer Naturals. I really love Arm and Hammer Naturals for a multitude of reasons: clumps really well, the litter is very light weight, corn based, and the company adds baking soda to the litter which gives it a nice scent. The litter also lasts much longer, it's almost been two weeks and i'm still on the same bag with plenty of clean litter :) pretty shocking! I barely lasted two weeks with the Swheat 15 pound box. Also, the Arm and Hammer is cheaper than the Swheat which doesn't hurt! lol :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
If the pee clump is REALLY big then it gets caught in the bowl and I've had to plunge it to break it up. If it's a small clump that fits down the hole then NO problem whatsoever. I did notice that any loose litter sticks to the sides of the bowl and that means i have to clean the bowl every time I flush it.

The problem is that I pump MowMOw SO full of water because of his weewee problems that his pee clumps are enormous. So pee goes into a biodegradable dog waste bag and into the trash (because it doesn't smell) and poo goes down the toilet (because even in a bag in the trash can it stinks up the house).
Good to know. Our current litter boxes are under 6 months old, the kit one is only a few months old. I might give it a try the next time I need to get a new litter box. Mouse's poo smells retched and the sooner I can dispose of it the better for all involved. Savannah was cleaning a Mouse poop a few days back and hubby was seriously concerned the poo would burn a hole through the plastic bag lololol

We have been using walmart type plastic bags for years. I keep a bunch under my sink and they work great for quick disposal. I never considered using my dog poop bags. hmmm I might try that as once in a while those plastic walmart bags have holes in them lolol

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've used the silica litter for years, but we've switched over the last few months to Feline Fresh Scoopable. It's a clumping, flushable pine litter. Could not be happier with this litter if I tried! The only thing I smell is a light pine scent.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used World's Best as well. I love it! It controls the smell of pee real good! I feel any litter cannot control the smell of poop... or is there such a thing? About a month ago, I started changing to this from store brand clay litter. I read that the dust in clay litter is not good for kitties and humans with the possiblity of causing lung problems. My son has asthma and allergy so I wanted to reduce dust, or harmful dust.... World's Best is corn based, so I feel much better when kitties are grooming themselves. It is natural! One of my kitties, though, had some problems in adjusting to new litter. He started making deposits right next to the box, instead of inside. I slowly changed by adding new litter little by little. Now I think he is fine. I personally liked the pine or newspaper litter that looks like little logs or pellet due to the less dust, but he did not like it at all. He kept making accidents....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I use wood pellets. Not advertised as cat litter (bought them at those home hardware stores. I think it's for garden), but works as good, if not better. I heard feline pine is exactly the same except much more expensive. Don't know if that's true because I never bought feline pine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I was using Swheat litter for the longest time, and then i decided to try Arm and Hammer Naturals. I really love Arm and Hammer Naturals for a multitude of reasons: clumps really well, the litter is very light weight, corn based, and the company adds baking soda to the litter which gives it a nice scent. The litter also lasts much longer, it's almost been two weeks and i'm still on the same bag with plenty of clean litter :) pretty shocking! I barely lasted two weeks with the Swheat 15 pound box. Also, the Arm and Hammer is cheaper than the Swheat which doesn't hurt! lol :)
I've been using the regular Arm & Hammer clumpable litter but the Natural one is probably much better for the environment and our health. Where do you buy it? Does it come in a large bag or box? I always buy litter in the 27-30 lb boxes so I don't have to run to the store too much.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I have always used Fresh Step Multicats. The sent last longer and I dont have to do a full change for a few weeks. You can get it in a 34lb. box at Wal-Mart. It has 2 16lb. boxs inside. I only pay $14 for it. I wouldnt use anything else.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I never liked the smell of Fresh Step but that was years ago, in the early 2000. Does anyone know if the scent has changed since 2000?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm a convert from the expensive Fresh Step non-clumping.

My Vet saw me buying it in Petsmart and said to use the non-clumping 'Special Kitty' litter from Walmart. Since she's the worlds best cat vet I bought some and when I openned the bad that costs 40% less it looks and smells exactly like the Fresh Step non-clumping clay litter*. The girls are fine with the Walmart litter, never seemed to notice a difference.

My vet demands non-clumping litter. Clumping may be convenient for you selfish kitty servants but she says the clumping stuff gets stuck between their toes and when they lick it out they get some poop matter.

* It looks, feels and smells like clay. Could be executed chinese prisoners. I can't tell.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love the litter locker 2, it traps all poop smells and no more stinky garbage cans! The refills are pricey almost $10 each but they last us a little over a month each for 2 kittens and it's worth the convenience to me. No more inspecting grocery bags for holes and our house doesn't smell like a litter box :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts