Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • Hello!
    We often get cats stroll into our garden, but they hardly ever stay for long (probably because of the dogs). Today this beautiful blue/grey kitten came into the house and stayed outside for hours - I was wondering if she is a particular breed, since she doesn't look like a standard moggie to me:

(no tag or anything in the bells).

She looks oriental(?) I'm mostly at a loss with cats, though I really want one like her.

I got the feeling that she was more of a house cat, and since she felt quite boney we fed and watered her whilst she was here... hopefully there won't be any 'lost' posters going up!~

·
Registered
395 Posts
She's gorgeous, but I don't think she looks like an oriental, could just be me though. Orientals have bigger ears and I think their hair looks different from other cats too, aswell as the eye shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh! I didn't know there was an actual breed called Oriental, lol, i just thought she looked kind of... oriental ;)
And I agree... she's far to shapely to be one of those :)

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
She is a gorgeous little thing. She looks quite at home in your garden :D .

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Well....without a pedigree, it is difficult to pin down what breed most cats are. In fact, I think pedigree is about the only way, in most cases. The genetics for every breed of cat are out there. Our breeds *began* with someone who liked the looks of a particular cat and began a selective breeding program to get the desired results, consistently. In the early days, regional and geographical isolation kept some of the early 'breeds' pure, until travel became more extensive.

Russian Blue, British Shorthair and Korat are all "blue" (gray) cat breeds. Selectively bred over the years to be homozygous for black, recessive dense (dilutes black to blue), no agouti (no obviously visible tabby stripes) and no spotting (no white markings).
This kitty is obviously black-based, recessive dense (blue-gray), no agouti and no white spotting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts