Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and thank you for your help here.
I live in New Zealand.
I have a lifestyle property that hosts a large dog, 10 cattle, a lot of pest rabbits and myself.

I am looking for my first cat, one that will scare off the rabbits and any potential inside rodents, and one that will be playful inside. (my dog is very friendly and playful)
Can you suggest a breed to consider

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
Breed doesn't matter because you never know how a cat will act in different situations. You're asking a lot of a cat - chasing off rabbits outside, getting rid of pests inside, getting along with a large dog and being okay to stay inside. I think your best bet is a shelter cat or a cat at from a cat adoption agency. They could point out a cat that may be a good fit for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second this message, the tasks to be assigned to this cat sound somewhat above the average of what's expected from a cat so the best bet would be a shelter cat since they tend to have lived a rougher life so they'd be more fit to your needs. When you mentioned "a lot of pest rabbits" do you have an estimate of how many rabbits the cat would be dealing with?

·
Registered
Lily and Lucy
15 Posts
Sounds like you need a barn cat. Maybe a local farm has a litter you could get one from. My indoor cats barely catch spiders and one did get a hold of a tiny frog... but let it go under the sofa. Pretty much useless in keeping anything away. If there was a mouse in the house they would probably think it is a new pet. You need a cat that has been outside and taught how to catch rodents, etc. Many years ago co-workers were talking about mice in their homes. I told them "No self-respecting mouse would ever come in my house with 5 cats." Embarrassing for sure, as a couple of days later one scurried across the floor, none of them in hot pursuit either! UGH. Set a mouse trap so they couldn't get at it. It caught the mouse by the leg. None of them would have anything to do with it. I didn't have the heart to kill it, neither did hubby, so he let it loose at the back of our property. I did have an indoor outdoor cat that was a great rodent killer, but I'm sure he learned from other cats. They don't always have the instinct to kill rodents. You could be very disappointed if you don't do your homework on this one. I would definitely try to find someone with a barn and see if they don't have one you could get from them. To expect them to be everything you want in one cat, it may not happen.

·
Registered
4 common domestic cats ranging from 1yo to 16yo
12 Posts
My cats caught mice when they were kittens and lived in the countryside, but those mice are tiny, much smaller than a rabbit. I have no idea how they would deal with a rabbit. But you said you have a dog. Doesn’t the dog chase rabbits? (I don’t know, just asking).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts