Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new here and new to cats( I grew up without ever having a cat or dog and have only kept reptiles), so try not to judge to harshly. Here is my problem. I've been thinking about adopting a cat from one of the local shelters. Many of the shelters here have over 100 cats and are not able to take in more animals or worse. I found a really sweet and pretty 3yr old tiger/bengal he is very alert and looks healthy, but is very thin. The shelter where he is at keeps him in a really tiny cage that he can barely stand up in so he may be too depressed or scared to eat. He deserves so much better, but unfortunately I work long hours more than an hour and a half away from where I live until late August and I am afraid to leave him alone for 12+ hours at a time. Would it be OK to put him in a cat play pen 36x24x48 for the day or would that upset him? Would a boarding facility be an option? I've been looking for someone who could foster him, but unfortunately I have not found anyone willing. The people at the shelter said that they get a lot of cats in and I don't know how long he'll be there. If anybody has any comments/ideas I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If you were able to it would be great to have a firend for him, presuming he would get along with other cats.
Would there be issues with allowing him to roam free around the house while you are out?
In a pen it doesnt give him the chance to move around, plus if it doesnt have a cover on it he will just jump out of it or climb out.
Pebbles when she was my only cat was fine alone all day while me and my partner were at work. I now have 5, she doesnt like the others one bit, but the others love having each others company while we are not home. Getting two at the same time would be a good idea as they would be intorduced in a completly nuetrol enviroment, neither will have been in your house to claim it as "thiers" plus they wont get lonely either.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I would recomend adopting 2 cats. Then leaving them for long hours wouldn't be an issue....they would have each other. I have always kept cats in pairs for this reason. You don't really need to worry about leaving a cat unattended in your house all day, like you would worry about a dog. Cats are just about the only animal that can can really be trusted to behave while you are gone. If you have 2 cats, they will just play,eat, and sleep while you are gone....mine are always asleep when I get home :) Cats are great!!! You don't have to walk them, take them out, etc. The usually housebreak themselves (even young kittens!) They don't go through your garbage, they don't chew up your shoes, furniture, etc, they don't bark and whine and howl, and they don't demand the CONSTANT attention dogs do :D Go for it!! Get him, and one of his friends :D :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your prompt replies. I really really appreciate your help:) I am only *supposed* to have one cat in my appartment. Also I am not sure if he gets along with other cats. I am worried about leaving him home alone because he will be recently neutered when I take him home and I am afraid he might mark his territory around my house or claw at the wood work. I have been browsing my favorite online pet supply company and I saw a product that you plug in to an outlet and is supposed to not make cats want to mark their territory......does this actually work? I will certainely have a large scrathing post for him, but I have a considerable deposit on my apartment and could stand to lose up to $1200. I've seen products that go over the tip of the nail, but I don't want to do anything that would make him uncomfortable. Would putting nail caps on his claws make him hate me? But you think a 36x24x48 in. enclosure would be out of the question? It would be about 4 times as big as the one at the shelter :( As far as pets that behave when I'm gone....my fish and geckos never cause any trouble :lol:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hey, I have fish, too :D What kind do you have? OK- back to the subject at hand. It really isn't a good idea to keep a cat in an enclosure like the one you are describing (or any at all) he would most likely become frustrated, angry, and start acting out. Cats like to have freedom to roam in an apartment. I know how it is to worry about the deposit. Rght now, in my 2 bedroom apartment, I have a dog, 2 cats, a rabbit, 4 hermit crabs, and 2 fish tanks. 8O I won't mention how many pets I am *supposed* to have 8O :lol: Cats don't usually spray after being neutered, in fact I have never heard of one doing that....so I don't think that will be a problem. As far as scratching on things, some cats are very good and only use your scratching post....some need a bit more reinforcement. I think Soft Paws Nail Caps are great....I use them with my cats, and they don't seem to mind them at all, so they are definately an option, if you are worried about scratching. The people at the shelter might know if he gets along with other cats. Most young cats do-especially if you introduce them to your house at the same time. Good luck! Let me know if you ave any more questions :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 50g tank of plecos and a 40g tank on Tanganyikan chiclids. One more question actually, are male cats that are neutered late in life better with female cats?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce your new kitty to another cat right now. A successful introduction can take a lot of time and effort, and so it would be really difficult with the amount of time you will be working. I would suggest introducing another kitty in August, once you aren't working as many hours.

I think the kitty nail caps are a wonderful idea. In order to make sure your kitty won't spray anywhere, you could try keeping him in your bathroom or laundry room for a few days while your working. Some cats will still spray after they are neutered because the hormones remain in their system for a little while after the operation. Leaving him a small enclosed room for the first few days will also help him get acclimatized to your house and the new surroundings.

I wouldn't leave him in a small pen, it would just make him unhappy. With the nail caps and introducing him into the bathroom first, will likely clear up any worries that you have about him destroying your house. I've only met one cat that scratches the woodwork. This only happens when she wants to be taken out on her harness and she will scratch the door casing a bit. That's only when I'm home of course! Also to deter scratching, you should have a scratching post for your kitty to use.

As for the male/female issue, I really feel that it doesn't make a difference. I've found all combinations to work, and I think it depends less on gender than the personalities of the cats involved.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
As for the male/female issue, I really feel that it doesn't make a difference. I've found all combinations to work, and I think it depends less on gender than the personalities of the cats involved.
Well put :D My thoughts exactly :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adopt the Kitty

I think you are worrying a bit too much. We also adopted our boy cat from a shelter, and he was unhappy and afraid to eat. I was a bit stressed too, because we had a dog and I didn't know how they would take to each other. He wasn't yet neutered, and I would never declaw. Well, we got him neutered, he never sprays, and I got him two quite nice scratching posts. I put them near furniture that I didn't want him to scratch and all is fine. If you are nervous, confine the kitty to one room of the apartment, say the bedroom for a trial. Put food, water, litter, scratching post, toys in the room with him. We did this at first until the dog and cat were ready to co-exist. I think you will be quite pleased and so will your precious new companion. Additionally, I have friends who've had great luck with citrus air fresheners as deterrents from bad behavior. Apparently, cats dislike citrus. So you could try that too. But see what happens. All might be fine and you won't need to do that. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, now I'm confused. Unfortunately I don't have a bedroom since my apartment is a loft and all open and the only room I could confine him to is the bathroom. Should I let him explore the entire apt while I'm there and then just put him in the bathroom(it is a fairly large bathroom) when I leave. Won't this make him angry? Or should I keep him in the bathroom at all times. And yes I do worry alot:) but I don't want everyone to get the wrong impression, I want him to be happy most of all.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am going to move this topic to cat chat... this section is more for cats avaliable for adoption.

I think your kitty will do better if you allow him to roam the apartment. I dont think he will mark his territory at all if he is nutered. As far as scratching.. well time will tell, and you can correct it if it becomes a problem.
If he is not used to other cats, it may be better to adopt him and allow him to get used to you before you decide to get another cat.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you are worried about the woodwork in the place, keeping the nails trimmed will really help with that. If they aren't sharp I wouldn't think they would do much of any damage to wood, especially if it's a hard wood. And there's no saying that he would even scratch the woodwork as long as he has his necessary scratching posts. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
kittyadopter,

i was worried just like you before adopting my pair of kittens... i fell in love with my male kitten Tyson, while my boyfriend fell in love with Tyra... so we had to have both (and figured they'd keep eachother company while we're away at work).

I understand about your deposit though... what I think you can probably do is leave your new cat in the bathroom for about the first couple of weeks while you're away from home, but make sure to move his scratching post in there so he can scratch away when needed. Then as he starts to explore the apartment, you can gauge your comfort level about leaving him out during the day regularly. I would have to say that my best investment was the cat tree I bought for the kittens. They're not cheap, but they scratch away at that thing like there's no tomorrow, and haven't scratched anything else. They also like to sleep on it and play with the toys I hang from it :) As for spraying, I've never had a problem with Tyson spraying (and from what I've heard, it's usually a territorial thing, so I doubt your cat would have that issue if he's the only cat... plus being neutered would definitely help that).

The best of luck to you, and be sure to post pix once you bring your new friend home! :)

-- Brite

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I need to add some tips about trimming the nails since you are a first time kitty parent.
I usually sit on my knees and put the kitty between them. I talk to him telling them how good they are doing.
Cut ONLY the tip off. Don't go too far down or you may hurt them.
Some people advize to do a few toes and then stop if the kitty is unconfortable (which my be the case with an adult that hasn't been in that position before). I like to do it quickly so there is as little stress on the kitties as possible. I give them treats and talk in a loving voice but firmly holding them while clipping. It is also a matter of how a cat reacts to this process. Other people do it while their kitties are asleep. You will have to learn your kitties personality and act accordingly :D

Here is more in depth instrucions from Dr Jean's site:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... how&item=1
and
http://amby.com/cat_site/cattrain.html

·
Registered
465 Posts
About letting him roam around while you're there and then putting him in the bathroom when you're gone - For the first few days, you should keep the cat confined to one room all the time. That way, he can get used to the new place without being overwhelmed. He also will get used to being in the bathroom, so if you put him there when you're away he won't mind as much. Gradually, you can introduce him to the whole apartment. I think after he's used to the whole apartment you won't have to confine him to the bathroom while you're away, but it's your decision and depends on the behavior of the cat.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I agree with leaving him in the bathroom until he gets used to it. My cat stayed online in my bedroom (mainly because I was afraid the dog would eat him). But he's still very timid after 3 months and rarely comes out although the door is never shut. I'm afraid I've gotten him TOO comfortable in there and he has no desire to leave.

I don't think having him around your apartment will be a problem though. Do a lot of research about cats (this forum is GREAT) before you get him and you'll be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts