Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can raw include:

-Cuts of meat from the meat department of a grocery store?

-The big chicken breast in my freezer

-Something freshly killed?

I'm a complete newbie to this-I'm still debating whether to try my kittoh out on raw diet!

Robin is still on canned. ^_^ With an emegency supply of kibble.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If it were something like freshly killed elk or deer, I'd freeze it for 3-4 weeks before feeding it. Other than that, I think all of what you posted qualifies!

Just makes sure that none of the meat is enhanced with anything - and that the sodium level is below 80-100mg per serving and you should be good to go.

BTW, since some people don't realize this, raw literally means raw. Not cooked meat, but meat that is 100% raw. That seems to be one of the things that people get most confused about when it comes to raw feeding - at least on some of the groups I am in!

Feeding raw, if you do some research about it, is one of the best choices you can make for any cat IMO:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you were to go raw I would either go to a natural foods pet store that may supply raw cat/dog foods, or get your meat from an actual local meat market/food market. I would also suggest local grown/all natural/ and or organic. Most meats you buy at the commercial grocery store were raised eating corn and given drugs and have preservatives. Also, the chickens you buy at commercial grocery stores are pre soaked in salt water.

When starting raw foods, some companies recommend feeding it 2-3 times a week, and by mixing it with canned food first so they can slowly get used to it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you can afford local grown/all natural/organic, that is good. I can't, and don't worry about it. I buy raw food from my local grocery store, sometimes reduced in price because it's at its "sell by" date. Ritz doesn't know the difference.
I do sometimes buy organic organ meat (like kidney) and liver from a natural foods pet store because cats metabolize the food through their kidney; it's a repository for perhaps some nasty stuff. At least, as I understand it.
An interim step is commercial raw (like RadCat or Nature's Variety), available at high-end/natural foods/on line pet stores. Commercial raw foods have everything the cat needs in the proper proportion (80/10/10).
Thanks for considering feeding raw; and your cats will thank you.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
An interim step is commercial raw (like RadCat or Nature's Variety), available at high-end/natural foods/on line pet stores. Commercial raw foods have everything the cat needs in the proper proportion (80/10/10).

Thanks for considering feeding raw; and your cats will thank you.

I don't mean to nit-pick, but this is just not entirely factual. Not all commercial raw foods have the right proportions, and they do use filler ingredients (although they are organic and blah blah blah) like berries, rice, seeds, veggies, etc. Some mixes cause loose stools or constipation because the proportions are a bit off. Ground meat also does not provide any dental health benefits.

I have debated with a vegetarian friend of mine for many hours over feeding commercial 'eco-friendly' raw, or what I call processed raw, and sourcing frankenprey from local markets. Most of my meat comes from an Asian market. Can I guarantee that the food animals were not given antibiotics, or the type of diet they fed the stock animals, or if they were caged or not? No, but that is not what I am looking to do. I am looking to have control over the portion and the food I am feeding. If it smells to me, or looks funny in any way, in the trash it goes. I can also strictly control the proportion of organ, bone, and muscle meat they get. I buy from places where we buy our own food...so, if it's good enough for my family, the cats can certainly partake.

I also base most of my success by actual results. Her cat is a 3 year old Ragdoll, weighs about 18 lbs, fed commercial powdered raw (freeze-dried that needs to be reconstituted with water), and organic frozen and freeze-dried treats. The vet has told her the cat needs to lose about 6-7 lbs. She spends about $50/month on food.

I have 4 cats ranging from 1-4.5 years old. They are all perfect weight, active, eat frankenprey in the morning, and a variety of ground meat patties I ration out myself, but the meat comes from Hare Today. My cats have been eating raw for about 2 years now, and they LOVE it. Their coats are shiny, eyes are bright, teeth are perfect, and no more digestion troubles. I feed all 4 of my cats per month for about as much as my friend spends on her 1 cat's food....give or take $10 depending on the Hare Today stuff since you have to buy in bulk.

I find that whatever works for your family, budget, ease of use, storing capacity, etc. is the right choice.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts