Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my cat Enzo has gone strange on me and i dont know what to do!

He is an indoor/outdoor cat (as is usual in the UK)
Ive been at home since 12:30 this afternoon and i hadnt seen him at all untill about 16:00 when i went upstairs to clean.
Id presumed he was outside as is usual for him, but he had been lying under my other halfs computer desk.

I left him there for a while thinking he was just tired, but i got worried when i hoovered the computer room and he didnt get up to run away. He ALWAYS runs from the hoover.
He didnt come downstairs fir his evening meal either so i took it up to him & he wasnt interested.
I offered him his favourite treats...nothing.

I warmed up his food and still no interest. Put him in the bathtub & turned on the tap (his prefereed method of drinking) nothing.

I just dont know what to do.
He doesnt usually sit still or refuse food or water.

Happened at the worst time as im due to leave in 5 hours for a few days away.

Any ideas what i can do? Vets isnt an option right now as its 23:45!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I would arrange for someone to take him to the emergency vet if your leaving right away. Usually when cats act like that they are very sick. I had a similar experience with my sisters cat and he had had a stroke. My own cat hid like that in a closet for two days after an adverse affect to a vaccination. I would get to the bottom of this right away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mom is going to take him to the vets tomorrow if hes still not himself.

My other half saw him eating at around 11:30 today, before he got our suitcases out to start packing.

I thought maybe he knows that suitcases = us going away for a bit & hes depressed? Or maybe i am putting human emotions on him?

He is 15months old.
He wags his tail when i talk to him and when he does move about, he will wash himself a bit.

Hes just not himself at all. Never declines food or a play in the bathtub, and only usually sits still when it is on top of me!
Every time he stands up he arches his back, and his tongue has been poking out quite a bit?
He doesnt seem to be in pain at all though?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I would fear that he might of gotten into some poison outside. That happens where we are. Numbnuts put out rat poison and a cat or dog ends up eating it. Or poison sprayed on gardens. Its hazardous outside! I personally wouldnt wait. Once you know a cat is sick it is pretty darn late in the game. They hide being sick out of instinct.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My skittish kitty gets very anxious when I bring a suitcase out, and she runs away and hides under the couch when she hears me zip it up. If you're stressed about going away, and there's unusual activity, your kitty might be reacting to that. However, as Mitts & Sophie said, kitties hiding generally indicates illness.

I hope your mom managed to get kitty to the vet and that he's okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts